Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 08:33 PM

Re: Advice needed - desperate of Yorkshire!

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
The mind boggles! What or who do you want to poison?
I can think of quite a few, Tiffany, but would use something untraceable to do it with!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 08:37 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. The enemies in question are brambles, ivy, grass and an out of control dogwood forest!

Nettles, cleavers and dandelions I am not so bothered about as they can be cooked and eaten.

Ideally I would like to remove everything but the soil and start again from scratch!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 09:38 PM

Diesel oil.

I think that will kill anything and everything!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Diesel oil.

I think that will kill anything and everything!
Won't it contaminate the soil forever?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Won't it contaminate the soil forever?
Yes.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Thank you, everyone, for your replies. The enemies in question are brambles, ivy, grass and an out of control dogwood forest!

Nettles, cleavers and dandelions I am not so bothered about as they can be cooked and eaten.

Ideally I would like to remove everything but the soil and start again from scratch!
Wait until it rains really heavily for days and then dig it out. Or hire a gardener to get rid of it.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 10:32 PM

What are cleavers?!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

I wage war every day against brambles they are growing everywhere. Horrid things, they are nasty & scratch too. Both myself & my gardener have tried to get rid of them but they still regrow. Decided the only thing is to keep cutting them down, they are indestructible.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

05-09-2020, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
What are cleavers?!
I use it a lot in cooking as it is basically a Herb - but classed these days as a weed. Which is a shame as it is so useful. The seeds can be ground and used to make coffee (it is from the same genetic family), the leaves can be added to soups/stews and also used to make medicines, and the roots can be used to make a red dye.

This tells you all about it:-

https://www.eatweeds.co.uk/cleavers-galium-aparine
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 08:00 AM

Thank you, Silver Tabby I have never heard it called cleavers before and had no idea you could eat it!! You learn a little something every day!
We always called it robin-run-the-hedge and have heard some people call it sticky willy. Our large hairy dog was always getting the burrs stuck to his fur. We have loads of it in the garden too, also masses of brambles, nettles, ground elder and vetch. I think the ground elder is our main pain, almost impossible to get rid of it.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top