Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2020, 12:53 PM

Kent's Sikh community came together to help trapped Stack lorry drivers

I saw this heartwarming story on Twitter yesterday. Not much mention in the mainstream press though. Aside from this other non-Sikh charities were also putting together boxes of food and essentials.

Why do charities have to step up at a time like this rather than the government? These poor drivers have had no access to even water and sanitary facilities for two days. Many are not allowed to leave their lorry unattended. It's appalling that more hasn't been done to help them. Just a cereal bar?!

"The Road Haulage Association has said that drivers were only offered one cereal bar for sustenance yesterday (December 21), and has said Kent County Council has delivered a "pretty poor effort" in terms of maintaining their morale and spirits.

And with no immediate end to the crisis in sight, Kent's Sikh community has decided to offer free hot meals to those drivers that face the prospect of Christmas in their trailers. "

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-...munity-4825064
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2020, 01:04 PM

Re: Kent's Sikh community came together to help trapped Stack lorry drivers

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I saw this heartwarming story on Twitter yesterday. Not much mention in the mainstream press though. Aside from this other non-Sikh charities were also putting together boxes of food and essentials.

Why do charities have to step up at a time like this rather than the government? These poor drivers have had no access to even water and sanitary facilities for two days. Many are not allowed to leave their lorry unattended. It's appalling that more hasn't been done to help them. Just a cereal bar?!

"The Road Haulage Association has said that drivers were only offered one cereal bar for sustenance yesterday (December 21), and has said Kent County Council has delivered a "pretty poor effort" in terms of maintaining their morale and spirits.

And with no immediate end to the crisis in sight, Kent's Sikh community has decided to offer free hot meals to those drivers that face the prospect of Christmas in their trailers. "

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-...munity-4825064
Why? Because they are not our responsibility though on this occasion probably we should step in because the bloody Frogs won't even though they should.

Interesting place France. Populated by chimaeras. A mix of frog and pig.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2020, 01:09 PM

It's nothing to do with politics but with common decency. These drivers are stranded and we are a civilised country. Why does it take charities to help them at such a time?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2020, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's nothing to do with politics but with common decency. These drivers are stranded and we are a civilised country. Why does it take charities to help them at such a time?
Charities are permitted to exist here PRECISLY because this IS a civilised country.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2020, 01:25 PM

The Sikh community regularly supply free meals to people in their respective communities whether Sikh or not. A noble people IMO. I've never met a Sikh I didn't like.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2020, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The Sikh community regularly supply free meals to people in their respective communities whether Sikh or not. A noble people IMO. I've never met a Sikh I didn't like.
Excellent post, Judd, and I completely agree. I have a lot of respect for Sikhs.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2020, 03:58 PM

Fantastic effort from the Sikh community they are masters
in the art of feeding large numbers of people ....
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2020, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Fantastic effort from the Sikh community they are masters
in the art of feeding large numbers of people ....
Oh so true. They feed a large number of people every week in the Birmingham area: https://www.midlandlangarseva.org/
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2020, 04:57 PM

I am pleased to read that somebody is helping these lorry drivers, who may not be able to get home for Christmas.
It isn't their fault they are stranded here and the Sikhs living in the UK are demonstrating kindness.
I hope they all get home soon, & when they return they will remember that people of the UK were happy to help!

I am sure none of us would like to be spending Christmas living in a lorry with no company
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2020, 07:26 PM

Hats off to all those who showed some kindness.

Am surprised that a few roadside cafe trailers weren't made available.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top