Join for free
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 03:34 PM

Bedding Down With Christmas Lights

The climate here is leans towards being temperate marine. Highs tend to run between 20 and 30, and we typically get one, but no more than two freezes a year.

Since it is so warm and humid here from March to December, I would like to establish a tropical garden around my palm trees - elephant ears, birds of paradise, ginger, banana, etc.

That means I will have to protect the plants for no more than 10-15 days a year and have read that Christmas lights under plant covers are an effective way to keep them warm.

I don't know anyone who has tried the lights. Have any of you? Do you have any other strategies that you recommend?

Thank you .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 03:46 PM

Re: Bedding Down With Christmas Lights

Is these of any use to you for ideas, Surfermom?

https://www.buckinghamshirelandscape...ropical-garden

https://www.thebigplantnursery.com/i...ropical-garden
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 04:08 PM

Re: Bedding Down With Christmas Lights

Ooo, yes, thank you, Mups. Lovely to "see" you! There are several species there that I hadn't considered. My thinking is that if most of the plants are cold hardy, I can slip in a few more temperature sensitive ones and focus on winterizing and protecting those few.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top