Join for free
Page 7 of 16 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 11:19 AM

Re: Runner Beans

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I've tried all methods unsuccessfully over the years so I no longer bother, we just enjoy them during the season and enjoy giving our surplus away, but no doubt some members manage to freeze them with success?
I have tried various methods too LD blanching /not blanching young beans and I would say they remain edible for a few weeks but like Barry I won't bother again not that I have any to freeze this year with my blackfly infested crop.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 11:21 AM

I froze last years crop, I must admit that they did spend 6 months or so in tge freezer and when used they were a bit stringy and lacked flavour
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 12:52 PM

Oh well, Looks like we will be having bean sandwiches this evening.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 01:14 PM

I just couldn’t grow a bean this year! Even in their own small pots, they just wouldn’t grow. I usually have small bean plants in the ground by 13th May
I perservered and l now have grown four plants. They are really behind but maybe, l might get a few?

I cut up any surplus beans very finely and freeze them, no blanching as l feel it makes them slushy.
I usually steam them from frozen with lots of other fresh vegetables and they aren’t so bad.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I just couldn’t grow a bean this year! Even in their own small pots, they just wouldn’t grow. I usually have small bean plants in the ground by 13th May
I perservered and l now have grown four plants. They are really behind but maybe, l might get a few?

I cut up any surplus beans very finely and freeze them, no blanching as l feel it makes them slushy.
I usually steam them from frozen with lots of other fresh vegetables and they aren’t so bad.
Thanks Art.

How strange you couldn't grow them earlier.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 02:20 PM

Plenty of beans here folks, just roll up and pick your own you're welcome...
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks Art.

How strange you couldn't grow them earlier.
Longy, It happened the same to me a few years ago and l had to buy bean plants in the end.

I think, l might’ve watered them too much and they rotted?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

22-07-2018, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Plenty of beans here folks, just roll up and pick your own you're welcome...
Barry, I haven’t even got flowers on the four plants yet!

I have got runner beans for dinner today though. A boy in my daughter’s class lives on a farm and he brought in a selection of vegetables for her as a leaving present.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

22-07-2018, 03:07 PM

Just eaten some of the first batch. They were fantastic, so tasty compared to shop bought.

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Barry, I haven’t even got flowers on the four plants yet!

I have got runner beans for dinner today though. A boy in my daughter’s class lives on a farm and he brought in a selection of vegetables for her as a leaving present.
Strange how fortunes differ though, my runners have been brilliant but I lost the whole crop of french beans to a combination of blackfly and weevils eating the roots, but hey that's gardening, win a few lose a few...

Page 7 of 16 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top