Join for free
Page 4 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 11:18 AM

Re: Brexit talks end 1 day early??

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
Hello and thanks for your post. I don't disagree with anything you have said. I am an optimist and I do think an agreement will be reached. However, there are certain things that some Leavers in this country would find unacceptable if the UK agreed to. But I'm sure you already know what these are.

For me personally I do not want the UK to have to adopt any ECJ rulings - if we have left the EU then to subject the country to any future decisions of the ECJ would be madness. This was one of the reasons people voted to leave back in 2016. Can you think of any other country* that would be happy to agree to something similar when negotiationg a trade deal?

Same with so called "Level Playing Field". If an overseas company want to invest in Europe (including UK) then obviously the UK would like to be able to make investing here more attractive to them than, say, investing in Spain or France. It's called competition but the EU doesn't want a competitive econmy on its doorstop. Why? Are they scared? I worked in Ireland in 1970's for a German company. Ireland was full of German firms back then. Why? Because the Irish government gave them big concessions, tax breaks etc.

The EU want a "long term" agreement/access to fish in UK waters. This is also unacceptable as there is no reason why a fisheries agreement cannot be re-visited on an annual or bi-annual basis. The UK gave too much away when they signed up to the CFP back in the 1970's. Now is an opportunity to make that right. The EU have said there will be no trade deal unless they get access to UK fishing like they have now.

So, the UK will be happy to accept that Canada style trade agreement (with appropriate amendments) that was offered a few years back. That's all we want. Simple really.

Here's a link to fishing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/46401558
Hi Takahashi,

thank you for your explanation. Unfortunately I am expecting guests and must prepare something. So no much time at the moment.

But one thing remains: when the UK was offered a Canada-style agreement (which does not cover services for example) the UK did not accept then. I am sure UK wants a Canada+++ agreement (with amendments which you mentioned) and that is not on the menu.

Have a good day and weekend
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
Hi Takahashi,

thank you for your explanation. Unfortunately I am expecting guests and must prepare something. So no much time at the moment.

But one thing remains: when the UK was offered a Canada-style agreement (which does not cover services for example) the UK did not accept then. I am sure UK wants a Canada+++ agreement (with amendments which you mentioned) and that is not on the menu.

Hi

I agree.

Canada +++ was never going to happen.

A simple Canada agreement would be good for both the UK and the EU.

Neither side is going to get what it wants.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
Hi Takahashi,

We couldn't accept the Canada+++ agreement because at the time it wouldn't apply to Northern Ireland.

To be honest, I don't trust the EU one bit - its an organisation that's key purpose is to grab power from the member states and pass it to unelected officials in Brussels who will rule them

No agreement with an unelected ideology could ever be trusted, so having "no deal" is the only way to preserve the independence, sovereignty and the democracy of the UK going forward.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
We couldn't accept the Canada+++ agreement because at the time it wouldn't apply to Northern Ireland.

To be honest, I don't trust the EU one bit - its an organisation that's key purpose is to grab power from the member states and pass it to unelected officials in Brussels who will rule them

No agreement with an unelected ideology could ever be trusted, so having "no deal" is the only way to preserve the independence, sovereignty and the democracy of the UK going forward.
Hi

Canada +++ was never on offer.

Two things you need to remember.

Gove

Nobody voted for a No Deal.

Boris.

We have an oven ready Brexit.

Time for them to deliver.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 12:43 PM

=swimfeeders;1927771]Hi

Canada +++ was never on offer.[/B]

Two things you need to remember.

Gove

Nobody voted for a No Deal.

Boris.

We have an oven ready Brexit.

Time for them to deliver.
It was offered by Tusk in March 2018

Our oven ready Brexit is the Australian deal - to walk away which I am perfectly fine with. An FTA may not be the best way anyway as we would not benefit from EU import duties from tariffs which we don't get (at all with an FTA) and have only had minimal benefit while we were in the EU from the CET.

We should only offer FTA's to other countries outside the EU where we benefit equally from them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

03-07-2020, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
It was offered by Tusk in March 2018

Our oven ready Brexit is the Australian deal - to walk away which I am perfectly fine with. An FTA may not be the best way anyway as we would not benefit from EU import duties from tariffs which we don't get (at all with an FTA) and have only had minimal benefit while we were in the EU from the CET.

We should only offer FTA's to other countries outside the EU where we benefit equally from them.

Hi

I agree with that.

It means no FTA with the USA.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 01:35 PM

When we have left completely at the end of the year, trading under WTO rules, things will be different.
I have a distinct feeling that the EU will then think again about a FTA with us, bearing in mind that we buy much more from them (and can impose our own tariffs) than they buy from us.
If the EU then decide that they do want a FTA, we can then hold out and insist that it should included services.
Then, of course, there is the little matter of our security and intelligence services which, I'm sure, they would very much like to benefit from.

We will be in the driving seat after the end of the year!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

03-07-2020, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
When we have left completely at the end of the year, trading under WTO rules, things will be different.
I have a distinct feeling that the EU will then think again about a FTA with us, bearing in mind that we buy much more from them (and can impose our own tariffs) than they buy from us.
If the EU then decide that they do want a FTA, we can then hold out and insist that it should included services.
Then, of course, there is the little matter of our security and intelligence services which, I'm sure, they would very much like to benefit from.

We will be in the driving seat after the end of the year!
Hi

We have already decided our Tariffs.

Under WTO Rules the apply to all, we cannot single out the EU.

The EU have done their sums and are not changing anything.

The EU are collecting from day one, we are not.

The EU have calculated they will benefit more from a block on our Services than they will lose from Fishing and Exports.

The EU Countries own far more of our Economy than we do of the EU Economy.

They have the advantage of being able to move production from the UK to the EU.

They have the upper hand, not the UK.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

03-07-2020, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I agree with that.

It means no FTA with the USA.
Depends on what areas suit us both. FTA's don't have to cover everything you know.

A USA FTA would be much more beneficial to us than a EU FTA
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

03-07-2020, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We have already decided our Tariffs.

Under WTO Rules the apply to all, we cannot single out the EU.

The EU have done their sums and are not changing anything.

The EU are collecting from day one, we are not.

The EU have calculated they will benefit more from a block on our Services than they will lose from Fishing and Exports.

The EU Countries own far more of our Economy than we do of the EU Economy.

They have the advantage of being able to move production from the UK to the EU.

They have the upper hand, not the UK.

Your not making sense Swimmy.

We have been subject to the CET for the rest of the world for years and that is a tariff we can do nothing about. In addition to that, the tax raised by the EU CET duties are split roughly 80/20 in favour of the EU anyway. We lose out big style, if we set tariffs ourselves we keep 100% of the duties. Check out the EU trade surplus with us and you work out how much that is worth in revenues a year.

The UK having its own tariff schedules can do what the EU has been doing to the rest of the world for years. The UK is also a union in its on right, with its own customs union, open borders, common currency, Supreme Court, single market etc. Its a wonder we aren't asking for 39 Billion for the EU to have access to our single market tarrif free - its more to their benefit than their single market is to us. In fact of the 28 member states, the UK benefited least from the single market by a long way. There is no single market for services either.

As for moving production from the UK to the EU - the opposite is happening and for good reason. Not only is the opportunities for foreign businesses a golden opportunity for them with Britain outside the EU it is also a golden opportunity for businesses to move here from within the EU (as we are seeing already).

The EU doesn't "own more of our economy" either - these are UK subsidiaries of foreign companies, for example, Nissan UK etc.

Oh and by the way, the EU can block our services all they want - we can do the same to them and it will cripple the Euro in a heartbeat if they did.

Latest figures I read was that nearly 70% of EU derivatives trades are mandated to be done through London as neither Paris or Frankfurt have the infrastructure or the trust of investors to do so.

Page 4 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top