Join for free
Page 5 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 02:48 PM

Re: Brexit talks end 1 day early??

Originally Posted by JBR ->
When we have left completely at the end of the year, trading under WTO rules, things will be different.
I have a distinct feeling that the EU will then think again about a FTA with us, bearing in mind that we buy much more from them (and can impose our own tariffs) than they buy from us.
If the EU then decide that they do want a FTA, we can then hold out and insist that it should included services.
Then, of course, there is the little matter of our security and intelligence services which, I'm sure, they would very much like to benefit from.

We will be in the driving seat after the end of the year!
We already are in the driving seat. The EU are terrified of discussing trade because they know we have them over a barrel, that's why they are not moving away from fishing and level playing field (and now state subsidies), in the vain hope we basically, rejoin the EU (because that's what this would mean - they put us in the backstop).

Anyway, the longer this goes on and the longer the EU don't walk away the higher the probability is of them caving in.

Something like .....

Talk about anything but trade ... run down the clock ... hope the UK blinks ... when they don't ... cave in
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
It was offered by Tusk in March 2018

Our oven ready Brexit is the Australian deal - to walk away which I am perfectly fine with. An FTA may not be the best way anyway as we would not benefit from EU import duties from tariffs which we don't get (at all with an FTA) and have only had minimal benefit while we were in the EU from the CET.

We should only offer FTA's to other countries outside the EU where we benefit equally from them.
The European Union was offering Britain a “Canada plus plus plus” arrangement, Tusk told reporters after meeting the Irish prime minister, explaining Britain could have not just a free trade accord like that with Canada but also extremely close relations in security, foreign policy and other areas. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1ME1M1

Trade with UK would be like the EU has with canada, the +++ would be about UK keeping it's privileged position on security etc.
Why else do you think present negotiations are, as you yourself pointed out before, on more than just trade?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
For me personally I do not want the UK to have to adopt any ECJ rulings - if we have left the EU then to subject the country to any future decisions of the ECJ would be madness. This was one of the reasons people voted to leave back in 2016. Can you think of any other country* that would be happy to agree to something similar when negotiationg a trade deal?
If, or when, there is a trade deal between the UK and usa, what court will rule on disputes ensuing from that deal? The americans recognize only american courts on their trade disputes.
Is it so strange for the EU, being the larger party, to insist on ECJ ruling on EU law matters?

You already agreed to this in the withdrawal agreement itself and in the ireland protocol that is part of it.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
If, or when, there is a trade deal between the UK and usa, what court will rule on disputes ensuing from that deal? The americans recognize only american courts on their trade disputes.
Is it so strange for the EU, being the larger party, to insist on ECJ ruling on EU law matters?

You already agreed to this in the withdrawal agreement itself and in the ireland protocol that is part of it.
When will you stop yammering on about the WA? We (including you) all know it falls by the wayside on Dec31st.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 04:00 PM

We already are in the driving seat. The EU are terrified of discussing trade because they know we have them over a barrel, that's why they are not moving away from fishing and level playing field (and now state subsidies), in the vain hope we basically, rejoin the EU (because that's what this would mean - they put us in the backstop).

Anyway, the longer this goes on and the longer the EU don't walk away the higher the probability is of them caving in.

Something like .....

Talk about anything but trade ... run down the clock ... hope the UK blinks ... when they don't ... cave in
Well, we can debate who's in the most advantageous position 'til the cows come home.

I believe that we are generally in a better position than the EU and I hope that that proves to be true. Everything I hear about the current discussions suggests that they are desperate to bully us into giving in on at least some of their demands, yet Boris is refusing to capitulate.

My only worry is that he might give in to some of these demands at the very last minute but, fortunately, he knows that if he gives too much he will have turned the majority against him with the inevitable likelihood that he will thus let in the Loony Party at the next GE.

If he sticks to his guns, even if we suffer a certain amount of hardship, once we are again a completely independent nation he will have given most of us what we want and will most likely benefit from another easy win at the next GE.

I suspect that that is at least as important to him and his party as anything else.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 04:21 PM

Well, we can debate who's in the most advantageous position 'til the cows come home.

I believe that we are generally in a better position than the EU and I hope that that proves to be true. Everything I hear about the current discussions suggests that they are desperate to bully us into giving in on at least some of their demands, yet Boris is refusing to capitulate.

My only worry is that he might give in to some of these demands at the very last minute but, fortunately, he knows that if he gives too much he will have turned the majority against him with the inevitable likelihood that he will thus let in the Loony Party at the next GE.

If he sticks to his guns, even if we suffer a certain amount of hardship, once we are again a completely independent nation he will have given most of us what we want and will most likely benefit from another easy win at the next GE.

I suspect that that is at least as important to him and his party as anything else.
Hi

A very astute post JBR.

We may disagree about who caves in, but the important thing is that we are leaving.

We are a Democracy, we voted Leave and we must Leave.

Only time will tell if we are winners or losers

I most sincerely hope that we are winners.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->

The trade disputes will be done through the WTO.

Thats what its there for.

The same place your trade disputes with the USA are done.

Or Does the ECJ rule the world now ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 06:14 PM

I get the impression that they think they do!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

03-07-2020, 06:59 PM

I get the impression that they think they do!
Yeah I think your right
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

03-07-2020, 07:04 PM

Is that the U.S. Court of International Trade, based in New York, the body in the U.S. judicial system that has jurisdiction over all cases dealing with customs and international trade laws?

Oh no. The United States Court of International Trade is an Article III federal court. The Customs Court Act of 1980 replaced the former United States Customs Court with the United States Court of International Trade. The court sits in New York City, although it is authorized to sit elsewhere, including in foreign nations.
The United States Court of International Trade, established under Article III of the Constitution, has nationwide jurisdiction over civil actions arising out of the customs and international trade laws of the United States.

Page 5 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top