Join for free
Page 7 of 13 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 09:44 PM

Re: Brexit talks end 1 day early??

Originally Posted by Bread ->
No it doesnt at all - learn what underpins international treaties.

The wiithdrawal bill is an act of Parliament that repeals it on 31st December 2020 at midnight.

A treaty is only legally binding if the act of Parliament (the bill) makes it law (or ends it)
The UK needed a bill to implement*the*Withdrawal Agreement, which is the legally binding treaty setting out the negotiated terms of the UK’s departure from the EU.

*This is for two reasons:

To meet our international obligations.*When the UK becomes party to an international treaty, the treaty does not automatically take effect in UK law. Instead, Parliament must legislate to give effect to the treaty.
A full Act of Parliament was required by prior legislation. Under the*EU (Withdrawal) Act, Parliament had to pass a further Act before the UK was allowed to ratify the treaty
https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...-agreement-act
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The UK needed a bill to implement*the*Withdrawal Agreement, which is the legally binding treaty setting out the negotiated terms of the UK’s departure from the EU.

*This is for two reasons:

To meet our international obligations.*When the UK becomes party to an international treaty, the treaty does not automatically take effect in UK law. Instead, Parliament must legislate to give effect to the treaty.
A full Act of Parliament was required by prior legislation. Under the*EU (Withdrawal) Act, Parliament had to pass a further Act before the UK was allowed to ratify the treaty
https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...-agreement-act

And ?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 10:14 PM

And ?
The withdrawal agreement act is not a bill to repeal the WA but to establish that british parliament accepts the terms of the UK's withdrawal from the EU.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 10:17 PM

The withdrawal agreement act is not a bill to repeal the WA but to establish that british parliament accepts the terms of the UK's withdrawal from the EU.

The bill is an act of Parliament - a law.

When that bill is repealed the law no longer exists.

How many times do you have to he told ?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

03-07-2020, 11:46 PM

The bill is an act of Parliament - a law.

When that bill is repealed the law no longer exists.

How many times do you have to he told ?
I prefer to believe what your own government says about it.

A Bill is not an Act of Parliament. A Bill becomes an Act if it is approved by the House of Commons and the House of Lords, and is formally agreed to by the reigning monarch (known as the Royal Assent). An Act of Parliament is a law, enforced in all areas of the UK where it is applicable.

Once a Bill becomes an Act of Parliament, it is the responsibility of the appropriate government department to implement it. The Bill cannot be withdrawn.
https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/...ns/bills-acts/
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 07:17 AM

No it doesnt at all - learn what underpins international treaties.

The wiithdrawal bill is an act of Parliament that repeals it on 31st December 2020 at midnight.

A treaty is only legally binding if the act of Parliament (the bill) makes it law (or ends it)
Hi

We will continue this discussion in January.

You will find we are continuing to pay the EU after that date and they will be paying us.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

04-07-2020, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We will continue this discussion in January.

You will find we are continuing to pay the EU after that date and they will be paying us.
Trade will continue on wto terms. But if I were a business importing from the UK, hit by covid, I would be busy looking around to buy that product elsewhere, preferably within the EU.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 03:43 PM

I prefer to believe what your own government says about it.

A Bill is not an Act of Parliament. A Bill becomes an Act if it is approved by the House of Commons and the House of Lords, and is formally agreed to by the reigning monarch (known as the Royal Assent). An Act of Parliament is a law, enforced in all areas of the UK where it is applicable.

Once a Bill becomes an Act of Parliament, it is the responsibility of the appropriate government department to implement it. The Bill cannot be withdrawn.
https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/...ns/bills-acts/
A Bill CAN be withdrawn at any stage right up to it being placed in front of the Monarch for signing. Once the Monarch has signed it, that's it, too late mate, another Act of Parliament is required to repeal it.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 03:45 PM

Trade will continue on wto terms. But if I were a business importing from the UK, hit by covid, I would be busy looking around to buy that product elsewhere, preferably within the EU.
Agreed, but I would be looking to import my "stuff" from without the EU.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 06:55 PM

I know someone in the motor trade and he has said that, presently, cars imported into the UK from outside thd EU attract a 10% tariff, whereas, cars imported into the UK from the EU block do not. So, in the event of a no deal the tariff on those cars from outside the EU will disappear, whereas, cars from Germany, France and so on could have a tariff applied to them making those cars less attractive to UK buyers.

Now I don't know if any of that is true but let's assume for a moment that it is. And let's also assume that it won't be just cars but lots of other EU goods like Spanish oranges for example.

There are some in the Dutch fishing trade who have said that whole fishing towns will be wiped out if there is no agreement over fishing. So, let's also assume that may be true.

The question I have been asking myself for ages now is just how far the EU will go in order to protect their precious single market? How many EU jobs are they prepared to sacrifice to drive the deal they want? Now I know there will also be consequences for the UK in such a scenario but I was just wondering what our European friends thought. How many jobs do you think it okay to sacrifice because of intransigence by the bureaucrats in Brussels? A thousand? Ten thousand or perhaps 100,000 jobs? Fùrthermore, what does the EU say to a family whose livelihood depends on the motor trade or fishing trade and who will very likely lose their jobs because their masters in Brussels failed to work out a deal with the UK? What do you tell the Spanish orange grower who couldn't give a damn about Brussels or the UK?

Page 7 of 13 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top