Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 11:34 PM

Mice & plants.

The other day I looked through my kitchen window & saw a mouse poking it's nose into my pot of petunias. Not just one pot but several. It actually climbed inside one pot.

When I looked at my plants later it looked like some of the lower leaves had been nibbled. Whether it was the mouse or slugs I don't know - but there were slug pellets in the pots.

What could have attracted a mouse to my petunia pots do you think?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 11:59 PM

Re: Mice & plants.

Originally Posted by carol ->
The other day I looked through my kitchen window & saw a mouse poking it's nose into my pot of petunias. Not just one pot but several. It actually climbed inside one pot.

When I looked at my plants later it looked like some of the lower leaves had been nibbled. Whether it was the mouse or slugs I don't know - but there were slug pellets in the pots.

What could have attracted a mouse to my petunia pots do you think?

What attracted the mouse?
My guess is the slug pellets, Carol, especially if they are palatable. I have a feeling rats will nibble at the pellets too.

Personally I never use them, because of my dogs.
On a damp night I go out with my torch and a pot of salt water and pick the blighters off and drop them in the salty water. Same with snails.

I did try those wool pellets this year, but found they helped a little, but some slugs still persisted.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 11:11 AM

Mice love bulbs too. A couple of holes appeared in the soil of pots containing bulbs of different plants and when I investigated the bulbs were gone. That same evening there it was, going for the pots again. No slug pellets involved.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Mice love bulbs too. A couple of holes appeared in the soil of pots containing bulbs of different plants and when I investigated the bulbs were gone. That same evening there it was, going for the pots again. No slug pellets involved.
And runner beans...
One year having planted the runner beans in pots to start them off I left them on the patio prior to taking them somewhere warm indoors and forgetting about them left them out overnight. The next day I was astonished to find the soil disturbed and the beans gone

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top