Join for free
Page 8 of 13 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 12:25 AM

Re: Brexit talks end 1 day early??

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
I know someone in the motor trade and he has said that, presently, cars imported into the UK from outside thd EU attract a 10% tariff, whereas, cars imported into the UK from the EU block do not. So, in the event of a no deal the tariff on those cars from outside the EU will disappear, whereas, cars from Germany, France and so on could have a tariff applied to them making those cars less attractive to UK buyers.

Now I don't know if any of that is true but let's assume for a moment that it is. And let's also assume that it won't be just cars but lots of other EU goods like Spanish oranges for example.

There are some in the Dutch fishing trade who have said that whole fishing towns will be wiped out if there is no agreement over fishing. So, let's also assume that may be true.

The question I have been asking myself for ages now is just how far the EU will go in order to protect their precious single market? How many EU jobs are they prepared to sacrifice to drive the deal they want? Now I know there will also be consequences for the UK in such a scenario but I was just wondering what our European friends thought. How many jobs do you think it okay to sacrifice because of intransigence by the bureaucrats in Brussels? A thousand? Ten thousand or perhaps 100,000 jobs? Fùrthermore, what does the EU say to a family whose livelihood depends on the motor trade or fishing trade and who will very likely lose their jobs because their masters in Brussels failed to work out a deal with the UK? What do you tell the Spanish orange grower who couldn't give a damn about Brussels or the UK?
No, tariffs on cars will be the same as from any other country. In effect, cars from the EU will become 10% more expensive.

Let's not forget, the UK is the asking partner in the case of a trade deal. The EU tells the UK what they offer. It's for the UK to say whether they accept what is on offer. For the EU it doesn't matter overly much. They are focussing on overcoming the economic effects of covid. In the UK covid had no ill effects, so boris johnson can concentrate fully on brexit.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
No, tariffs on cars will be the same as from any other country. In effect, cars from the EU will become 10% more expensive.

Let's not forget, the UK is the asking partner in the case of a trade deal. The EU tells the UK what they offer. It's for the UK to say whether they accept what is on offer. For the EU it doesn't matter overly much. They are focussing on overcoming the economic effects of covid. In the UK covid had no ill effects, so boris johnson can concentrate fully on brexit.
So my friend was half right but EU cars, being more expensive, will be less attractive to UK buyers. That will severely impact the motor trade in France and Germany.

I notice you failed to address the main point of my post - the extent of the sacrifice EU workers in certain industries will be made to suffer to protect the single market? What's more important do you think; the livelihood of thousands of people or keeping the EU project on the rails? If you were a Dutch politician how would you explain to an entire fishing community that they have been sacrificed to protect the integrity of the single market?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 09:16 AM

So my friend was half right but EU cars, being more expensive, will be less attractive to UK buyers. That will severely impact the motor trade in France and Germany.

I notice you failed to address the main point of my post - the extent of the sacrifice EU workers in certain industries will be made to suffer to protect the single market? What's more important do you think; the livelihood of thousands of people or keeping the EU project on the rails? If you were a Dutch politician how would you explain to an entire fishing community that they have been sacrificed to protect the integrity of the single market?
Hi

Tariffs and None Tariff Barriers work both ways.

The UK have stated that we are taking back fisheries in any event.

You must also remember that the EU is a much bigger economy than the UK.

Tariffs in cars will have an effect on UK Exports.

I hope this helps.

https://www.acea.be/news/article/aut...l%20production).

Both sides have done their sums.

Interesting Times.

I have no idea what the eventual outcome will be.

Protectionism is the name of the game now, shortening supply chains.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 11:33 AM

So how many job losses are the EU prepared to lose in the name of protectionism? That's the answer I was looking for.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 01:18 PM

So how many job losses are the EU prepared to lose in the name of protectionism? That's the answer I was looking for.
A good question too Takahashi, but l am afraid only an EU
Commissioner can answer it ?
But remember the UK fishing community has allready paid the
same price when UK so carelessly joined the common market
years ago??
So l dont have much sympathy now that EU fishing communities
are facing a similar fate, after what l call tearing the arse out of
the situation for the last 30 odd years??

Donkeyman! 👍👍😁👍👍
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 01:49 PM

I notice you failed to address the main point of my post - the extent of the sacrifice EU workers in certain industries will be made to suffer to protect the single market? What's more important do you think; the livelihood of thousands of people or keeping the EU project on the rails?
From the point of view of the dutch, french, germans etc. the situation is rather simpel. The british left, forcing trade to be performed on wto terms.

For those merchants buying products from britain it means these will be more expensive. This necessitates to look for alternative sources of delivery, preferrably within the EU (no tarifs). So british manufacturers lose part of their offset market and income.
For manufacturers on the continent with export to britain it means their products become more expensive for british consumers, so they cannot afford them any longer. So after some time the demand decreases so less export. Manufacturers will have to find new markets, but that will be done through the EU, the largest trading bloc in the world.

What workers in europe observe, is the EU is negotiating with australia, new zealand, japan, south america, and britain, to close agreements which are beneficial for their industry, in effect for EU workers (as producers of products And as consumers).
Since the UK left the appetite in other member states to leave is greatly diminished. The recent covid crisis made it all the more clear how important international cooperation in an organisation is.

So if EU workers blame anyone, it's not the commission, it's those stupid brits.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

05-07-2020, 02:03 PM

If you were a Dutch politician how would you explain to an entire fishing community that they have been sacrificed to protect the integrity of the single market?
The fishing community in the netherlands consists of a limited number of big families that own most of the vessels, but the processing facilities too. Those facilities are used by the british fishers to land and sell their catch. British facilities are too small to process the british catch. (and there is no expansion going on)
After 1 januari 2021 the fish landed by british fishers has a tarif added to it. That is to say, if they are allowed to land at all. As a minimum measure they will be end of the line, decreasing the quality of their fish.
In the fishing game not all the cards are in the hands of the british.
Takahashi
United Kingdom

05-07-2020, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
From the point of view of the dutch, french, germans etc. the situation is rather simpel. The british left, forcing trade to be performed on wto terms.

For those merchants buying products from britain it means these will be more expensive. This necessitates to look for alternative sources of delivery, preferrably within the EU (no tarifs). So british manufacturers lose part of their offset market and income.
For manufacturers on the continent with export to britain it means their products become more expensive for british consumers, so they cannot afford them any longer. So after some time the demand decreases so less export. Manufacturers will have to find new markets, but that will be done through the EU, the largest trading bloc in the world.

What workers in europe observe, is the EU is negotiating with australia, new zealand, japan, south america, and britain, to close agreements which are beneficial for their industry, in effect for EU workers (as producers of products And as consumers).
Since the UK left the appetite in other member states to leave is greatly diminished. The recent covid crisis made it all the more clear how important international cooperation in an organisation is.

So if EU workers blame anyone, it's not the commission, it's those stupid brits.
So, in the event of no deal being reached and possibly thousands of EU workers losing their jobs as a result, you are of the opinion that those workers will blame "stupid brits" for their plight, rather than the failure of their own bureaucrats to strike a deal? You must inhabit a very strange world.
Which "stupid brits" are you referring to exactly?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 03:59 PM

So, in the event of no deal being reached and possibly thousands of EU workers losing their jobs as a result, you are of the opinion that those workers will blame "stupid brits" for their plight, rather than the failure of their own bureaucrats to strike a deal? You must inhabit a very strange world.
Which "stupid brits" are you referring to exactly?
I like your thinking Takahashi We've been trying to get answers out of Solasch to similar questions for ages but he almost always tries to swerve them.

Here's one he can't blame "stupid Brits" for: Who is responsible for all the existing unemployed people in Greece, Italy, Spain?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
A good question too Takahashi, but l am afraid only an EU
Commissioner can answer it ?
But remember the UK fishing community has allready paid the
same price when UK so carelessly joined the common market
years ago??
So l dont have much sympathy now that EU fishing communities
are facing a similar fate, after what l call tearing the arse out of
the situation for the last 30 odd years??
I agree.

What annoyed me more than anything is how the EU assigned our fishing areas 85% to the Frogs and 10% to us!

I could at least understand their logic if we were awarded 10% and the other 90% divided between other EU member states, but how did the Frogs end up with the lion's share?

Does anyone have any sort of explanation?

Page 8 of 13 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top