Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 01:09 AM

Is life easier without opinions?

I sometimes look at the dog and cats and think how it's great we get on because we cannot share our opinions. I'd bet that if the dog could talk he would spend hours complaining about the dog food and how it's not fair that we get the good stuff.

So I have wondered whether that's the root of human misery - that we are able to share opinions and others disagree? Do people get on better when they keep their opinions to themselves - better out or in?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 02:19 AM

Re: Is life easier without opinions?

Better out. Opinions lead to hypotheses. Hypotheses lead to theories. Theories lead to experimentation.;.which leads to discoveries that can be proven. And therefore benefit mankind. Other opinions lead to bad governments and sometimes to chaos and war. Great philosophical debates throughout history ( opinions) lead to democracy - a very bad form of government but still the best one we have. ( forget who said that). Without opinions there is nothing. But that's just my..opinion?..Better you're sorry you asked!..
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Better out. Opinions lead to hypotheses. Hypotheses lead to theories. Theories lead to experimentation.;.which leads to discoveries that can be proven. And therefore benefit mankind. Other opinions lead to bad governments and sometimes to chaos and war. Great philosophical debates throughout history ( opinions) lead to democracy - a very bad form of government but still the best one we have. ( forget who said that). Without opinions there is nothing. But that's just my..opinion?..Better you're sorry you asked!..
Love it - thank you, Keezoy!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I sometimes look at the dog and cats and think how it's great we get on because we cannot share our opinions. I'd bet that if the dog could talk he would spend hours complaining about the dog food and how it's not fair that we get the good stuff.

So I have wondered whether that's the root of human misery - that we are able to share opinions and others disagree? Do people get on better when they keep their opinions to themselves - better out or in?
My cats share their opinions - frequently and loudly!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 05:57 AM

Best, having the ability to voice an opinion, but choosing not to use it.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

I know exactly what you mean . The people I know who offer little or no opinions on any subject are the ones with the wide circle of friends . If you voice opinions on a lot of subjects there are bound to be people who you upset .
Personally I like people with opinions even if I don’t necessarily agree with them .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 07:18 AM

I think everyone has opinions, it's a part of being human. The only question really is whether to voice them or not....
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 07:41 AM

If I know my opinion is going to upset someone I usually stay quiet unless it really does matter .... i keep in mind what Steve Jobs said.

Don't let other people's opinions drown out your own inner voice.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 07:47 AM

Hi

I did not have opinions when I was married, my wife had them for me.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 08:05 AM

I think opinions are good as we can learn from them.
If we didn’t have an opinion about anything, then we’d be a bit dead from the feet upwards!

Everyone’s opinion is valid and shouldn’t be written off.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top