Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 07:32 PM

Re: Programs from one's youth

If you was a child of the 70's and of school age, the must see program at the time was a TV series called The Flashing Blade. Nearly everyone at my school wanted to be a sword fighter and would pretend they was sword fighting using wooden rulers because that program made sword fighting look cool

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Nearly everyone at my school wanted to be a sword fighter and would pretend they was sword fighting using wooden rulers because that program made sword fighting look cool
I remember sword fighting using wooden rulers. The end result was rulers that couldn't rule a straight line due to all the notches!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I remember sword fighting using wooden rulers. The end result was rulers that couldn't rule a straight line due to all the notches!

I always carried two wooden rulers in the school bag, one for sword fighting and one for it's intended purpose.

Many a time in infants school I myself and a friend would be seen standing on school chairs pretending we were swordsman from the flashing blade, having lots of fun then would hear a loud bellowing shout 'YOU BOYS!!!! COME HERE NOW!!!!. Grabbed by the ears and led off to the headmasters office where the punishment was getting whacked across the palms of your hand by the cane and then had to stand in the main hall, face against the wall where the rest of the school could see who had been naughty.

Good times hehe
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 08:47 PM

I always carried two wooden rulers in the school bag, one for sword fighting and one for it's intended purpose.

Many a time in infants school I myself and a friend would be seen standing on school chairs pretending we were swordsman from the flashing blade, having lots of fun then would hear a loud bellowing shout 'YOU BOYS!!!! COME HERE NOW!!!!. Grabbed by the ears and led off to the headmasters office where the punishment was getting whacked across the palms of your hand by the cane and then had to stand in the main hall, face against the wall where the rest of the school could see who had been naughty.

Good times hehe
I remember a bunch of lads at my school who'd evidently been quite taken by watching episodes of The Sweeney.
There was a bit of a fad for "nicking" other kiddies and roughing them up a bit for good measure.
I recall a few sullen faced would be Reagan and Carters standing outside The Head's office.

A few years before that the kung fu craze swept the nation. Homemade Bruce Lee type flails made from a couple of piece of broom stick and a length of toilet chain weren't unheard of.
Boys will be boys I suppose.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 08:48 PM

Good times hehe
Yes, we've all been caned. At least those of us of our age have; they don't seem to do it now.

I was once caned for something I didn't do.
A group of us lads in the corner of the playground, one lad looking over the wall separating us from the next-door girls' school, and we had been warned by the headmaster in that morning's assembly not to do it. What should happen but a teacher came round the corner, saw the lad letching, and took us all to the headmaster for a caning, guilty and innocent together.

I don't feel bad about it, though I did at the time. Everyone makes mistakes and it did me no harm.

Not today, of course. The headmaster and the teacher would be up in court and probably given a criminal record.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 09:05 PM

I've just had a look at my recordings and I seem to have:
- Quatermass and the Pit (two versions - 1958 and 1967)
- The Quatermass Experiment
- Quatermass II

I can't remember Quatermass II, so I'll have to get it out again and have a look at it.
Is that the one where a huge industrial complex was taken over by alien entities that arrived in a meteor shower? I seem to remember that they were creating some kind of creature contained in a huge vessel of some sort and fed on human blood which was piped through the facility. Very frightening in its day. Bill Franklin played the part of a hero who sacrificed himself to save the day. Is that the one or am I confused in my dotage?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 09:07 PM

If you was a child of the 70's and of school age, the must see program at the time was a TV series called The Flashing Blade. Nearly everyone at my school wanted to be a sword fighter and would pretend they was sword fighting using wooden rulers because that program made sword fighting look cool

That used to be shown on a Monday night on wash day. The washing was dried on a clothes horse in front of the fire and in front of the telly, so we couldn't watch it properly.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

08-07-2020, 09:11 PM

Yes, we've all been caned. At least those of us of our age have; they don't seem to do it now.

I was once caned for something I didn't do.
A group of us lads in the corner of the playground, one lad looking over the wall separating us from the next-door girls' school, and we had been warned by the headmaster in that morning's assembly not to do it. What should happen but a teacher came round the corner, saw the lad letching, and took us all to the headmaster for a caning, guilty and innocent together.

I don't feel bad about it, though I did at the time. Everyone makes mistakes and it did me no harm.

Not today, of course. The headmaster and the teacher would be up in court and probably given a criminal record.
Happy Days...

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-07-2020, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Is that the one where a huge industrial complex was taken over by alien entities that arrived in a meteor shower? I seem to remember that they were creating some kind of creature contained in a huge vessel of some sort and fed on human blood which was piped through the facility. Very frightening in its day. Bill Franklin played the part of a hero who sacrificed himself to save the day. Is that the one or am I confused in my dotage?
I don't know. I'll have to watch it. I've got the DVDs out ready for when Marge has stopped watching her things!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-07-2020, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Happy Days...

No, it was usually the backside for us on account of our needing our hands for writing!

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top