Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 04:45 PM

Re: Coronavirus: Public spending on crisis soars to £190bn

Hi

They are forecasting the worst recession in 300 years, not sure how they arrive at that, but we are certainly back to wartime levels of debt.

The figures are so big they are meaningless.

The job losses are only just starting according to the experts.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
It's something of a sticky wicket isn't it.

Most folk accepted furlough as they were given 80% of their pay.
I admit, at the time I thought it was over generous .. though I have no answers or credible alternative because the government, at the time, had to reassure people they wouldn't suffer because of lockdown.

Since then there seems to have been a deluge of promises after promises to kickstart the economy ... even whilst covid hasn't gone, has only abated and is expected to come back in wave after wave.

I understand it'll take decades to recover ... and can believe it.
Those are my concerns, too ..... that the billions being spent now may, if COVID "disappears", revive the economy in years to come but if COVID returns with a vengeance in the winter and people have thrown caution to the winds then the country will be worse off than ever.

Then, of course, there's the rest of the world and their problems .....
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 04:55 PM

In this difficult sitution ,the government is bending over backwards to tryand make sure that nobody is left by the wayside penniless.
They are handing out £billions as if it grows on trees and some of it will go to the wrong people as usual.
We will all have to pay increased tax in future.
Why does'nt the goverment do the right thing and stop allowing Billinaires and Multi Millionaires to take millions of Tax free Dividends because they register their Companies trading in UK, abroad.
Is this fair? They should at least pay something Pro Rata

In UK
The tax-free dividend allowance is £2,000. Basic-rate taxpayers pay 7.5% on dividends. Higher-rate taxpayers pay 32.5% on dividends. Additional-rate taxpayers pay 38.1% on dividends.6 Apr 2020.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 04:57 PM

I must agree with what a lot of what posted and no doubt it will have to be recouped by taxation, either or both income tax and VAT, I have issues with you last bit about the government allowing the deaths to happen.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
I have issues with you last bit about the government allowing the deaths to happen.
See:

Coronavirus: Almost 30,000 'excess' care homes deaths

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=69024
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 05:15 PM

I wonder if there are any stats on how many people died in private care homes?
Aren’t they responsible for the medical care of its paying customers ?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 05:16 PM

Totally off topic ... but Omah ... I've just spotted you've had plastic surgery. Well done to the surgeon, he's knocked years off you. Very youthful I must say.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

09-07-2020, 05:21 PM

I wonder if there are any stats on how many people died in private care homes?
Aren’t they responsible for the medical care of its paying customers ?
See post:

Coronavirus: What guidance did care homes get from the government?

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...75#post1930075
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

09-07-2020, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Totally off topic ... but Omah ... I've just spotted you've had plastic surgery. Well done to the surgeon, he's knocked years off you. Very youthful I must say.
Thanks .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 10:01 PM

I must agree with what a lot of what posted and no doubt it will have to be recouped by taxation, either or both income tax and VAT, I have issues with you last bit about the government allowing the deaths to happen.
There's only so much they can raise with taxation without crippling the economy further.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top