Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 10:09 PM

Re: Saudi Law

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Sorry, tried to delete my post after I saw yours, but failed miserably.

No worries.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 10:11 PM

I'm a big believer in the punishment must fit the crime.
Hence I've nowt against the death penalty in some cases.

A public lashing for possessing alcohol is harsh ... there's no other word for it.
But then again .. that's why you'd never catch me running around in a burkha in the Middle East.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 10:14 PM

It's not so much the flogging that I'm against, its the NUMBER of lashes I dislike. What kind of person can do that to another human being?

It might have been better to just give him an injection if they wanted to dispose of him.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 10:17 PM

Not too sure but I don't think he gets the lashes all at once I think they are done over the course of his sentence
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 10:27 PM

Fancy being lashed, on the Never Never.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 10:29 PM

The lashings are not all carried out in one session. Perhaps a dozen, then those left to heal followed by another dozen and so on. Then it is just public entertainment.

Same as in Nelsons day, perhaps 200 lashes with the Cat , then the other 200 later. Nothing like the Slave treatment in the West Indies, when we were a whole lot more brutal. After 400 lashings or more and the blood loss was so great the Slave would become unconscious and would then be tied to a tree and their back covered in molasses to attract stinging insects all night. Worse if they wanted to make the infliction much worse they dragged a cat across the wounds , the claws making them septic. Nice lot the English and that was not so long ago.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 12:07 AM

Indeed, Dukie. Almost enough to make one give up his seat in the House of Lords ?

Convicts in Aus were often subjected to 400, 600, 800 or even the occasional 1000 lashes with the cat. Mostly for fairly minor breaches of 'the rules'.

I read recently of one 15yo (4ft 9inches) who copped 150 lashes for turning up late for his assigned task.

Many of these convicts were there for really minor stuff like pinching a loaf of bread because they and their kids were starving.
Or ... they were Irish political prisoners.

Then there was the way aborigines were treated .... but that's another story.

Few countries do not have skeletons in their historical cupboards.
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 12:24 AM

I'm a tree hugging liberal. However for especially malicious crimes I think the US system is far too humane. The Boston Bomber, take off a limb a year and then fry him.

But the Saudis and Singapore take punishment over the top.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 12:47 AM

They are one of the most corrupt and hypocritical nations on the planet.
Don't think for a minute that they don't drink when they are on hols in Spain or the south of France and have girls brought to them for other entertainment .when at home a favourite pastime is sexually abusing the help usually defenceless Philipino girls who are trapped there .
They take their passports and treat them as slaves .
Many are brutally assaulted and not just by the men Saudi women can be cruel and sadistic too
They are a bloated disgusting nation and the sooner someone invents a hydro driven car the better then they can go back to abusing their camels
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 07:24 AM

quite right muddy - we can all be tempted to be corrupt and hypocritical at times in life by the those in the ME it has become normal and daily - poor old Mohammed must be turning in his grave!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top