Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 10:51 PM

Re: workmen with no brains

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Good idea But don't want the kitchen wrecked using that method .

I see Conroy has gone, shame as I would love to read his solution
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 12:17 AM

What's on the other side of the wall directly to the rear of the existing switch?

Could a new light switch be fitted there and the existing switch wires extended to the new position using suitable connectors? All that's needed then is to plaster over the old switch-box. Either that or extend to an architrave switch on the same wall.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
What's on the other side of the wall directly to the rear of the existing switch?

Could a new light switch be fitted there and the existing switch wires extended to the new position using suitable connectors? All that's needed then is to plaster over the old switch-box.
It is an option yes Sue suggested that . On the other side is the house central heating thermo control switch

which is about the same height as the kitchen light switch on the other side. So that would have to be moved up as well. AS the cables would go up the wall.

So that box could be used for the kitchen light switch and that one moved up to new position.

In my day it was power cables went down a wall and lighting cable went up, with exceptions

New rules and IEE regs state the work must be carried out by a qualified electrician

Health and safety say you can do it yourself if capable and get the work passed by a qualified electrician
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 12:31 AM

You could always put the switch lower than the t/stat and go through the wall from there. Chase the cable into the wall from below the existing switch into the switch box and do the connections in the box.

ETA: verify how the cables feed the t/stat first, plumbers aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer where electrics are concerned.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

29-01-2018, 12:39 AM

I have one of these, a metal detector for hidden cables /metal behind walls. detects studs -AC current and metal depending on the switch position

So if the light switch does pack up I have the knowledge ( working on building sites for many years ) and the tools.

One thing about being a 5 year apprentice you not only learn your trade, but on site if another tradesman wanted a hand you were told to go and help him . That way you learnt a bit about many things like plastering- brick laying- working with chippies- even down to carpet laying.
A great education which now longer exists so comprehensively
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 03:14 AM

I couldn't see the problem from the first photo either.

If you are going to replace the switch anyway, turn off the power, lever it off the wall (breaking it is not a problem) then put a new switch on the piece of wall to the right of and at 90° to the existing switch. Plaster over the existing hole.

Easy!
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 11:30 AM

A flexible driver?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	kinzo-8in1-flexible-screwdriver-set-989013-.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	5031  
Conroy
Surrey .uk
Conroy is male  Conroy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 05:02 PM

Based on what is presented I have never read such rubbish regarding the VERY simple job of changing that switch. No problem at all, the back screw can be removed with a short screwdriver bit normally used in electric screwdrivers etc. in fact it can be moved in many ways in a few minutes with ease.
Fine to call workman brainless it seems, perhaps they were only brainless as they failed to appreciate that some pen-pushing thicko's may later think the switch removal is a problem.
Fine being an apprentice, but the world has moved on from fitting hardwood blocks and tumbler switches.,
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You could always put the switch lower than the t/stat and go through the wall from there. Chase the cable into the wall from below the existing switch into the switch box and do the connections in the box.

ETA: verify how the cables feed the t/stat first, plumbers aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer where electrics are concerned.

And vice versa.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 05:16 PM

Whos this conroy know it all then. Think I would rather trust Judds Knowledge than a cowboys brute force

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top