Join for free
Page 28 of 36 « First < 18 26 27 28 29 30 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 12:29 AM

Re: Energy: SMART Meters

West Riding
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
West Riding
I'm glad you said that.

Your location says 'West Yorkshire', a trendy modern politically-derived non-county!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Have you noticed that people being interviewed by television News programmes about heating bills are nearly always wearing T-shirts? Put a jumper on for goodness sake!
I've been round to people's houses in the Winter and they're wearing t-shirts. The heating is on so high and the air so dry I couldn't cope with it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I've been round to people's houses in the Winter and they're wearing t-shirts. The heating is on so high and the air so dry I couldn't cope with it.
I know what you mean. I always wear warm clothing in the winter and keep the thermostat down a bit. When going anywhere else, I have to make sure I've got cooler clothing on because I know others tend to have the house warmer than I do. I turn the heat up a bit here if people are visiting us so they won't feel cold.

Of course a smart meter (or the gadget that comes with it) would let me know I was saving gas when the heating is turned down, or that I'm using more when it's turned up. Isn't that clever?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Of course a smart meter (or the gadget that comes with it) would let me know I was saving gas when the heating is turned down, or that I'm using more when it's turned up. Isn't that clever?
Point of note. Gadgets like that have been available for years. I was given one by an uncle about 10 years ago. You clip a small device around the electricity line in the juction box ouside and it communicates to the gadget inside the house. Shows you the energy usage and then when you switch things on and off you can see the impact.

No Smart Meter needed at all for such basic diagnostic info.

As I said before, these gadgets are just the sweetener for naive uninformed people to get them to accept the evil Smart Meter. Sadly it has fooled a lot of people who will later come to regret it.
mmadhat
New Member!
Norfolk uk
mmadhat is male 

14-09-2018, 08:24 PM

Well, I have to say, thank you for all the responses. There is an obvious, err, 'enthusiasm' for the issues brought up by my naive (maybe delusional) post.

I have done some research, ie, browsed around the interwebz, and found a range of opinion from "well its gonna happen anyway, whatever, might as well get on with it", to downright vitriolic rant - little fact or documented evidence. Saying "well, if 'A' happens now 'B' is surely to follow" with the allusive "them" benefiting, just muddies the waters further with possible ideologically based conspiratorial gloop.

Rant over ...
Again, thanks for your replies. I shall endevour to keep you informed of any developments.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 03:09 PM

Well here is a bit of a surprise, my supplier, Scottish Power rang me today wanting to arrange a time to fit a smart meter....like I am in Asda..not my usual day..it’s packed..so I am not the happiest of bunnies anyway....

‘ don’t want one’ I say..

‘But there are so many benefits etc’ he says

‘Don’t want one’ I say.

‘ is there any reason you don’t want one?’ He says.

Don’t want one’ I say ( I am consistent right?)

‘ But, it will be compulsory by 2020’ he says

‘ Bollox’ I say....that stopped him..I hung up, I really didn’t want to be rude , but I was stuck trying to work out whether tinned sardines in oil or brine was the best option.
Ho hum! I am expecting them to arrive at my gaff, kick the door down and connect me to a smart meter shortly.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 04:01 PM

I am fed up of the utilities holding us to ransom.

They already hike the prices up on the most feeble excuses and try to gain access to our bank accounts via Direct Debits - something else I will not have. I decide how much to pay each month according to my usage and needs - not them.

I will NOT have a smart meter - I do not need one - I have something called 'a brain'!. If anyone wants to know I can tell them to the nearest penny how much Gas and/or Electricity I use per day - per hour if need be. Having had a good education I am able to read meters and calculate such things. If I was ever short of something to do I could also evaluate how much Gas and/or Electricity each of my household appliances uses and at what time of day - I do not need a smart meter to tell me and, so long as I pay for the fuel I use, it is no-one else's business.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 08:19 PM

I'll never get a smart meter. I believe it's a scam and dislike the way it's being foisted on the elderly and the vulnerable.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 08:25 PM

I understand that if you don’t have a meter you will be limited to only a couple of tariffs on offer. The sales pitch being if you want a lower tariff then you have to have a meter fitted.

Page 28 of 36 « First < 18 26 27 28 29 30 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top