Join for free
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2017, 04:56 PM

Rate your books/What book are you reading?

Just an idea but what about if we rate the books we have read or are reading, out of ten when posting in this section?

I know we all have different tastes but it might help others.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2017, 06:37 PM

Re: Rate your books/What book are you reading?

Good idea, I've already done it!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
good idea, i've already done it!
tomtwodogs
Lynmouth U.K.
tomtwodogs is male  tomtwodogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 07:02 PM

I have just re - read for the umpteenth time 500 mile walkies by Mark Wallington, its about a guy and an inner city London dog who both walk the south west coast path from Minehead to Poole. Both have never walked far before, and the dog has never seen any countryside , its in a day to day diary format and is very funny so if you like Dogs, Walking and humour give it a try, I would rate it as 9 out of 10, but here is one review underneath

It's a grey morning in early May as we find Wallington and Boogie contemplating breakfast and the path ahead in west Somerset's tourist town. Boogie's dishevelled condition belies a hidden personality, whose `charms' become more manifest as the journey progresses. Being born and bred in London, he had never before seen the countryside. We learn that he is prone to outrageous displays of overacting, and that he is "incapable of hearing a dog whistle blown in his ear, yet sensitive to the sound of a cereal packet being opened at a range of two miles."

The prime attraction of this book is, of course, its humour. But is it your humour? Here's a typical example that made me laugh: At the end of his first long day's trudging, Wallington contemplates putting his feet up - "The path met the road at the hamlet of Countisbury. Before me stood the church of St John the Baptist and the Blue Ball Inn. Both doors were open. I thought maybe I should thank the Lord for seeing me safely through this first day, and what better place to do it than the pub." and of course the dog promptly collapses just inside the doorway conveniently placed,.. to break the neck of the next person to...walk in !

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top