Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 12:52 PM

Re: We are doomed I tell you - doomed!

Originally Posted by May ->
lol...I see You keep editing on wee bits to Your posts....well You shall get Your rewards in Heaven for being a better Person than I ...or maybe You don't believe in it...I'm off to My local butcher to purchase a nice sirloin steak for dinner,then next door to the greengrocers for some lovely Ayrshire tatties to go with it..oops..don't tell Me...You're a vegetarian too...there's no end to Your goodness is there...Self praise is no honour as My Ol' Granny used to say...….have a nice day...THE END.
Well May, you asked the questions and I gave the answers. If you don't like the answers, and then refer to them as 'self praise' there's nothing to be done.
However, enjoy your big fat juicy stake, and as my father used to say, we all walk around sleepwalking, and until the car crash we don't get our priorities right.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 05:37 PM

What an eye opener !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqcSq399cCo
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

09-08-2018, 10:24 AM

Just so we all know. Chimpanzees are now extinct in Gambia, Burkina, Faso, Benin and Togo.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
What an eye opener !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqcSq399cCo
My wife and I often discuss the quantity of rubbish in the seas and wonder how it gets there, but this certainly answers that question, incredible, shocking and quite terrifying ...
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 06:23 PM

There are things we individually can do to help slow down the devastation. The information is out there. It's been out there at least since the early 1990s. But the change is here, and it will get worse. The population explosion is out of control, and it makes everything else more critical. Did you know that in India alone, 40,000 babies are born every day?
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 11:51 PM

A plane like a Boeing 747 uses approximately 1 gallon of fuel (about 4 litres) every second. Over the course of a 10-hour flight, it might burn*36,000 gallons*(150,000 litres). According to Boeing's Web site, the 747 burns approximately*5 gallons of fuel per mile*(12 litres per kilometer).

How many huge passenger planes and cargo planes are flying 24/7 ?

When the gargantuan*Harmony of the Seas*slips out of Southampton docks on a Sunday afternoon commercial voyage, the 16-deck-high floating city will switch off its auxiliary engines, fire up its three giant diesels and head to the open sea.
But while the 6,780 passengers and 2,100 crew on the largest cruise ship in the world wave goodbye to England, many people left behind in Southampton say they will be glad to see it go. They complain that*air pollution from such nautical behemoths*is getting worse every year as cruising becomes the fastest growing sector of the mass tourism industry and as ships get bigger and bigger.
The Harmony, owned by Royal Caribbean, has two four-storey high 16-cylinder Wärtsilä engines which would, at full power, each burn 1,377 US gallons of fuel an hour, or about 66,000 gallons a day of some of the most polluting diesel fuel in the world.

This vessel is only ONE of hundreds, maybe thousands of similar vessels throughout the world throwing huge amounts of pullutants into the air every day.

Greenpeace warned of this increase of devastating pollution at least 40 years ago. That is when I joined them.

Had the world taken notice of what Greenpeace were saying, and taken positive action at that time, then I believe that global warming that we are experiencing now would be minimal. Yes global warming is basically a natural occurrence on earth, but it is made incalculably worse by what we human beings are chucking into our precious air.

It is time to take the bull by the horns and sort out this devastating pollution while we are still able to do something serious about it. Forget about shouting out that people are getting paranoic – it’s those who are shouting that will contribute, through their disregard, to the potential disintegration of our planet. IMO
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 10:10 AM

As long as money is involved the governments aren't going to crack down on big companies that pollute and decimate parts of the planet.

As for plastic,
this morning on BBC Breakfast local news they had found a washing up liquid bottle on Brean beach with 4d price on it from before decimalization. Even the label hadn't deteriorated.
How do household items end up in the sea? Someone must be dumping it in there!
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 07:32 PM

Well all I can say is that I can't help thinking that you are correct. With that in mind, I am so glad that I will not be around to see this happen, and neither will the rest of my family.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top