Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 08:06 PM

Re: Computer Security

Free Malwarebytes
Free Avast
CCleaner.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 08:44 PM

Thank you all.

I am on Windows 10 and do have Windows Defender already on there.
Normally I always buy Norton, but getting fed up with it.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 08:47 PM

I'm with Bt and use their protection which is McAfee.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 08:53 PM

Hi Andy, I have got Windows Defender already set up on my computer, so does that mean, that I don't have to buy a Security then?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 09:51 PM

I've used quite a few security programs over the years but also take note of test results from AV testing sites such as:

AV-Comparatives and AV-Test

The 'false positive' figure is quite important in the AV-Comparatives test. This is where a legitimate process or file is judged as malicious and that file might be wrongly quarantined or the process terminated. AV programs can make mistakes like this sometimes and the graph shown in the page shows this.

An AV program that does consistently well at detection with a low false positive figure is Bitdefender and this is what I'm using at present.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Hi Andy, I have got Windows Defender already set up on my computer, so does that mean, that I don't have to buy a Security then?
It does. If you do decide to install another security software product, it will automatically turn off Windows Defender.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Andwar ->
If you are using Windows 10, all you need is Windows Defender. It is adequate for basic use. I have been using it for a few years and I have had no problems.
Me too. It came with Windows 10 and has been perfectly satisfactory so far.

I occasionally find that McAfee has sneaked on when I have downloaded something else. I wish they wouldn't do that.

I also use CCleaner and Malwarebytes, both free of course.
Andwar
Bristol, UK.
Andwar is male  Andwar has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
It is up to you but Windows Defender is Microsofts default anti-virus and firewall and are adequate in Windows 10. In earlier versions of Windows Defender is not as good and it is recomended to replace it with other software. When I had Windows 8 I used 360 Total Security free version which I thought was quite good.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK

17-08-2018, 07:54 AM

Thank you all, I will not waste my money in buying one, i'll just see how it goes for now.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top