Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 03:17 PM

Re: TP-Link powerline adaptor

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Hahaha! No upstairs; we live in a bungalow.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. One problem - I think - is that Virgin Media have their own specific cable connection. I may be wrong, but I suspect that it will not fit third party routers.
I live in a bungalow and had much the same problem. VM's cable comes in towards the rear of the property and that's where the router is. Hence poor wi-fi coverage at the front.

It's possible to switch the VM router to Modem Mode and then plug a router of your choice into Ethernet socket number 1 at the back of it.

I have done this with an Orbi system (router and satellites). Expensive but I picked the router and two satellites up for a good price. It works well.

There are several ways of overcoming a weak wi-fi signal I suppose.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Sorry about that, but I got the TP-LINK TL-WA850RE 300MBPS Wall Plug Range Extender at Argos for £17.99.....
Ah, thanks. I googled it.

That's a different principle of operation, not a powerline adapter. I gather that it must be installed within the range of the router and re-transmits the signal further.

It certainly sounds a cheaper alternative and, presumably, works well.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I live in a bungalow and had much the same problem. VM's cable comes in towards the rear of the property and that's where the router is. Hence poor wi-fi coverage at the front.

It's possible to switch the VM router to Modem Mode and then plug a router of your choice into Ethernet socket number 1 at the back of it.

I have done this with an Orbi system (router and satellites). Expensive but I picked the router and two satellites up for a good price. It works well.

There are several ways of overcoming a weak wi-fi signal I suppose.
Thanks. Yet another alternative. I may explore additional routers, although I do seem to have overcome the problem with my extender.

Just incidentally, VM state that Ethernet sockets 1&2 are for telephone connection, whereas 3&4 are for extenders. However, that is a strange reversal of their insistence of a few years ago when they insisted that they do not provide for VOIP telephony from their router.
They were economical with the truth, though, because that's exactly what I have done with a Vonage unit, which does work well!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 05:36 PM

I used port 1 on the Superhub 3 modem/router because I'd read that at the time I was setting it up. However, I just had a read of a thread over on the VM forum and it's reckoned that any of the ports can be used.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ah, thanks. I googled it.

That's a different principle of operation, not a powerline adapter. I gather that it must be installed within the range of the router and re-transmits the signal further.

It certainly sounds a cheaper alternative and, presumably, works well.
True JB, as I said it transmits at least 50 yards down the garden so I can't fault it really...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 05:56 PM

I can't understand it. I have a BT router and works anywhere in my 4 bed house.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

10-09-2018, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I can't understand it. I have a BT router and works anywhere in my 4 bed house.
It could be that the BT router is better than the VM one.

The ground floor space and so distances are often greater in bungalows than in houses. Also depends on the number of walls and if they are brick walls or just partitioning walls ..all sorts of factors really. We all find a way to do the job whatever.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-09-2018, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I used port 1 on the Superhub 3 modem/router because I'd read that at the time I was setting it up. However, I just had a read of a thread over on the VM forum and it's reckoned that any of the ports can be used.
Sounds like they keep changing their minds!

As you said, it really comes down to the materials the signal has to pass through.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 11:20 PM

My router isn't the best - just what was provided by SSE Broadband.

But I have it in my kitchen which is the most central room in the house and my wi-fi is fine in my kitchen, bedroom and living room. Doesn't reach upstairs, though but I'm hardly ever in those rooms.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-09-2018, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
My router isn't the best - just what was provided by SSE Broadband.

But I have it in my kitchen which is the most central room in the house and my wi-fi is fine in my kitchen, bedroom and living room. Doesn't reach upstairs, though but I'm hardly ever in those rooms.
Yes, ours is quite adequate for most areas in which we need to have a signal. Living room, dining room, kitchen, bedroom (ours; haven't tried it in the other, which is only for t'mother-in-law when she comes!). It doesn't reach to the toilet, though, so when I go for a poo I usually take a crossword.

The only problem was a security camera which is on an outside wall and is three wall thicknesses and a chimney breast to negotiate, which isn't surprising.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top