Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2011, 04:03 PM

Re: Poppies do you wear one?

I always wear one and also go to the cenotaph each year.
Pabicus
Tayside, UK
Pabicus is male 

08-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Yes, I always wear one and also sent a cross to be set in the Edinburgh garden of rememberance for an uncle lost in the war
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Yes, always wear one every year. When I was at school children used to come round to the classrooms selling them. The poppies had wire in them and us girls used to take them apart and feather the petals into many layers and put them back together again.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Yes, I always wear one. I buy 2 or 3 each year and pin them to different jackets. I've always worn it on the left side, over the heart.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2011, 10:08 PM

Me too. Always wear one and always will.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2011, 10:38 PM

I feel bad ... after I mentioned earlier I couldn't find them here any more friend on Catsey sent me one .... and in the confusion of packing and moving it didn't come......
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

09-11-2011, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I feel bad ... after I mentioned earlier I couldn't find them here any more friend on Catsey sent me one .... and in the confusion of packing and moving it didn't come......
Why feel bad Eileen?, you don't really need it to remember, a thought or two is just as good.

We always went to the Cenotaph service as it was a bit of a reunion as well and several of the lads did not wear them but the fact that they were there was all that mattered.

I don't know if it still happens on the 11th but a few years ago the good folks at Ypres used to hand out poppy petals to be taken to the Menin Gate.
When you got there they were collected up but during the silence for remembrance they floated down from the roof. It is the most extraordinary and humbling yet eerie thing to have seen.

doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2011, 09:15 PM

yes i always wear one.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2011, 11:29 PM

I've always worn one also, but there have been none on sale at any of the shops I go in this year, which I'm saddened by.

Not only do I wear them for the fallen heros of WWI and WWII, but for the three soldiers with whom my husband and I were friendly with, when their Landrover drove over a road bomb in Londonderry in 1970, and also for the fallen in the Middle Eastern wars as well.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2011, 11:48 PM

They are so young some of them. On the news this evening it was announced that a young lad from the First Yorks had been killed in Afghanistan. Part of my husband's job is to train the soldiers to repair their own tanks out there and he'd trained that regiment recently, so sad.
When I came out of Tescos this evening we bought two more poppies. The poor old chap was standing out in the half lit cold entrance where the trollies are kept. I asked him why he didn't stand in the warm shop just a few feet away, he just smiled and didn't answer. Is there some ghastly rule forbidding this?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top