Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

09-11-2011, 11:58 PM

Re: Poppies do you wear one?

Originally Posted by maryl ->
When I came out of Tescos this evening we bought two more poppies. The poor old chap was standing out in the half lit cold entrance where the trollies are kept. I asked him why he didn't stand in the warm shop just a few feet away, he just smiled and didn't answer. Is there some ghastly rule forbidding this?
I think a good many of the large supermarkets have restrictions on when and where the collectors can stand.
Quite disgusting really but on a plus side, libraries have had the collection boxes and trays of poppies displayed a good while before the event for as long as I can remember.

A thumbs up also for Boundary Mill in Colne (Lancs), they have a box and tray at every checkout till of which there are a lot, well done guys.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 12:19 AM

Thanks Hammer, there may be shops round here doing the same as yours, I don't know. One of my little grandaughters insisted on going with grandad to the shops last week, she wanted to buy a poppy of her own. Her school has taught the eight year olds the meaning of the poppy and why we have Remembrance Day. She was very proud that she knew what trenches were and all about the fields of poppies. For a couple of seconds I was surprised, thinking she's only eight. Then smiled, isn't it wonderful that young children are being taught this in school?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 12:31 AM

Maryl, that's touching. Made me think of the song lyric "Ain't gonna' study war no more..." .......... maybe there is hope for peace.
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 10:45 PM

yes I always wear a poppy, well actually the 'broomstick' is wearing it this year, they had a sticky one in the library, my hair attacks things like that.
finally got the knack of getting in and out of the gate without crashing against the wall, theres only about 1/2 inch between the gate and the scooter.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top