Join for free
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Cats that Mouse

Okay all you catty people on here ! After Losos interesting post on catching mice ...... What I would like to know is that if I decide in time to get a kitten how will I know if it will bother to catch mice? I have had two cats in the past and they were lovely cats but didn't want to mouse at all, probably because they're wasn't any mice where I lived in those days.

I don't want to get a farm cat or a wild one as it will need to get on with my mini Schnauzer.

Would you say all cats were mousers then? Also would I be best getting a male or female? Would I upset the naighbour who adores feeding the birds excessively?

Tis' a difficult one isn't it. Any advice greatly appreciated on cats and mousing thanks.
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2010, 10:01 PM

Re: Cats that Mouse

I'm not going to even attempt to give you advice!

You will never be able to tell which cat is a mouser and which isn't. Or a birder, for that matter!

Smokey, my cat, brought a live mouse into the house last night! Let it go in the living room. Took half an hour to catch it!

Cats is cats!
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wanda ->
I'm not going to even attempt to give you advice!

You will never be able to tell which cat is a mouser and which isn't. Or a birder, for that matter!

Smokey, my cat, brought a live mouse into the house last night! Let it go in the living room. Took half an hour to catch it!

Cats is cats!
Oh my God Wanda, I wouldn't want a cat bringing them in Do you have a cat flap for Smokey? Would you say a cat flap makes it easier for them to do that as cats can come in and out as they please.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 02:06 AM

Alicat, all of mine over the years have been indoor cats with walks on harnesses (unsafe area because of traffic, nearness to woods with foxes, etc). All of them, male and female, have caught mice when they come in the house in Autumn. Some are better mousers than others, it's hard-wired in them to catch them. And yes, if you have a cat flap and the cat catches a mouse or shrew he/she will very likely bring it indoors to show you, and may let it go, and it will promptly dash under furniture, behind fridge, etc. causing much excitement for cat and people .... we have stories about this often on Catsey.

Birds - sadly, cats are also programmed to catch them. Once again, some are skilled and some aren't, no way to tell beforehand. A bell with a collar may help, but a skilled hunter will learn to stalk without making noise. Sad, but just the way it is.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 01:04 PM

My old Sparky (moggy) has caught mice and birds all his thirteen years, bringing them in, I wish he wouldn't.
My boss put a bell on his cat's collar and she learned to stalk by tucking her chin in to her chest to muffle the sound. Canny cat?
Alicat
West Berkshire

05-10-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Alicat, all of mine over the years have been indoor cats with walks on harnesses (unsafe area because of traffic, nearness to woods with foxes, etc). All of them, male and female, have caught mice when they come in the house in Autumn. Some are better mousers than others, it's hard-wired in them to catch them. And yes, if you have a cat flap and the cat catches a mouse or shrew he/she will very likely bring it indoors to show you, and may let it go, and it will promptly dash under furniture, behind fridge, etc. causing much excitement for cat and people .... we have stories about this often on Catsey.

Birds - sadly, cats are also programmed to catch them. Once again, some are skilled and some aren't, no way to tell beforehand. A bell with a collar may help, but a skilled hunter will learn to stalk without making noise. Sad, but just the way it is.
Thanks dandysmom, I'll see how it goes then, Asti's quite adequate on her own at the moment but if she needs reinforcements to deal with the little blighters then a cat will be required. I love cats anyway so it will be well looked after as Asti is. A cat flap is handy though as a cat can go in and out as it pleases but don't like the idea that they can bring anything in. Will have to have a think on that one.
Thanks for your reply
Alicat
West Berkshire

05-10-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
My old Sparky (moggy) has caught mice and birds all his thirteen years, bringing them in, I wish he wouldn't.
My boss put a bell on his cat's collar and she learned to stalk by tucking her chin in to her chest to muffle the sound. Canny cat?

Your Sparky sounds a real hunter, do you have a cat flap maryl?

That was funny about your boss putting a bell on his cat's collar and the cat tucking her chin in Very clever cat.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 04:40 PM

I have loved every cat I have given a home to but Cleo is very special as she does not hunt.

My garden in spring is a haven for birds and chicks that have been able to nest in relative safety for 11 years now.

No longer the mess indoors of half eaten mice,rats and rabbits-all well meant gifts from those before Cleo I`m sure.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 04:42 PM

As I said earlier, a skilled hunter will soon learn to do that... a collar with more than one bell might do the trick.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 05:08 PM

Alicat posted: 'Your Sparky sounds a real hunter, do you have a cat flap maryl?'

Yes we do Alicat, we lock it at night when he's in though.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top