Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2011, 11:11 PM

Reasonable force

Anyone seen this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-13885457
what is reasonable force???
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2011, 07:24 AM

Re: Reasonable force

It is wrong to satb someone even if they break into your home, any burgler breaking into our house would fall down the stairs trying to run away.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2011, 07:37 AM

Reasonable force should, by definition, mean the amount of force required to ensure that the burglar dies, regardless of method employed to inflict that force upon him.....
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2011, 10:56 AM

I don't think that anyone who hasn't been burgled quite understands the enormous emotional impact of the crime. I am a very laid back, relaxed kind of person who will usually "turn the other cheek" and do almost anything to avoid confrontation. When I was burgled some years ago, the most shocking thing about it was my reaction to the situation. If I had come home and found the burglar still in my house, I am 100% sure that I would have done some extremely serious damage. I felt totally violated and felt easily capable of killing the perpetrator.
Maybe they should be giving the householder a medal rather than arresting him - it might make the little scrotes think twice before burgling someone's house.
I was a youth worker for 40 years and I think I made a few of the kids I worked with who were teetering on the edge of this kind of criminality think again when I told them of my reaction to the crime.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2011, 05:48 PM

I hope that sense is getting threw to the powers that be and no charges are brought against the home owner.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

26-06-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I hope that sense is getting threw to the powers that be and no charges are brought against the home owner.
ROFL

I`ve heard of eggs n flour being thrown at " the Powers that be " , even punches ( LOL ) but never , ever have I heard of sense being thrown at them ........... LOLOLOL

I`d cripple the lil $hits if they broke into my Home and would happily do time for doing so .
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2011, 07:32 AM

I have an 'Alpen stock' I bought in Poland many years ago whilst climbing the High Tatras. It has a steel 2" spike at one end and a brass (very heavy) ice axe at t'other (handle) end. Any misbegotten scroat who has the effrontery to invade my space is likely to need the services of a good Proctologist to remove said 'Alpenstock' from his body.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2011, 04:41 PM

I don't think stabbing someone is reasonable force.

Obviously we don't know the circumstances, but surely putting on the lights as soon as you knew someone was "trying to break in" along with shouting out "WE"VE CALLED THE POLICE" would have been enough to scare them off?

It sounds as though these people caught them trying to break in and decided to 'teach them a lesson'. Not good.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Reasonable force should, by definition, mean the amount of force required to ensure that the burglar dies, regardless of method employed to inflict that force upon him.....
Oh dear I know it's a serious subject but your answer is so funny
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2011, 05:49 PM

what is reasonable force???
I guess the correct answer under the law is sufficient force to protect onself while causing the least amount of damage to all concerned.
Each case is different and should be judge on the circumstances though for me violence is never the answer to any problem .
I don't think that anyone who hasn't been burgled quite understands the enormous emotional impact of the crime. I am a very laid back, relaxed kind of person who will usually "turn the other cheek" and do almost anything to avoid confrontation. When I was burgled some years ago, the most shocking thing about it was my reaction to the situation.
I agree Mike, it must be dreadful to find oneself in such a situation. If someone broke into my house while I was in here I don’t know how I would react at the time though I would probably lock myself in my bedroom and hide under the sheets.
It is a sad fact that not all children are taught from an early age to respect other people and their property and they go on to steal from others.

I have confronted thieves breaking into cars at 3am , they turned out to be 15 years old and the proceeds of their theft were taken back to their parents to sell. I have also been faced with a man brandishing a knife (while I was on duty in a voluntary organisations). On both occasions I used my tongue to defuse the situation and luckily none of us came to harm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top