Join for free
Page 19 of 28 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 12:31 PM

Re: Brexit - Can you ever please both sides?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We are not an "island race" who "always managed our own affairs" but an ex empire, with a far worse history than any EU actions. We have a multicultural community as a result of that past. Prior and post empire we struggled. The global economy is totally transformed vs what existed pre EEC and you have to be a big player like the US or China or be part of a united trade block to deal with multinational trade. We have access to all that via trade agreements the EU has already negotiated. Looking at the shambles of Brexit negotiations we won't do well on our own trying to rewrite these agreements.
Our politicians are making a mess of it not us Annie, and one of the reasons IMO is they are weakened by decades of not having to do their jobs properly. It's like a muscle if you don't use it, it will die. They need to step up and learn to do these things again.

As a single country we can make decisions quickly I have watched the 27 not be able to decide what to have for lunch let alone agree a change in direction. Global trade needs a nimbleness a huge monolith just doesn't have.

BTW going back to the empire is a bit daft none of us wants to go back we all look forward. I've watched remainers say we hark back to the 50s well no we want to move forward, certainly we can learn lessons from the past but don't hark back to it wanting to be there.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 12:50 PM

Politicians have always been a mixed bag. Leaving the EU won't make them more effective. I mentioned the empire because it's a good example of our inability to cope with global challenges on our own. Look what a shambles that was in the end. Why do you think we will do well on our own vs the global economy when we cannot negotiate our way out of a paper bag and have unskilled politicians? I can't understand how any of this will improve overnight or even long term. There is an ingrained complacency and sloppiness at the heart of how things are run and I can't see how leaving the EU will fix that.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 12:57 PM

Empire ? Empire building ? May I humbly suggest that the EU , a bunch of unelected unaccountable gangsters have built an empire of 28 nations so far and as demonstrated of late .... all held hostage !!!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 01:06 PM

It's better to be part of a democratic empire with a say in how it's run than to have them as neighbours controlling our economy by using their clout externally.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-01-2019, 01:09 PM

By the way the EU structure is far more democratic than the British political system. They don't have an unelected upper chamber.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
They see the older generation having greatly benefitted in being a member of the EU, owning property, having good pensions
In which case they are bamboozled as the older generation simply worked very hard to buy their houses and worked long years in companies which rightly rewarded them with pensions. Nothing to do with the EU.

A clear example of why the older generation are more experienced and less gullible.

able to live and work in Europe etc and think that they are being denied the same opportunities by small minded angry old people who dislike EU regulations and the immigrants freedom of movement has brought to this country.
And yet any young person can go and live and work in ANY country in this world right now and always have been able to. That won't change after BrExit. You simply need to go through due process, get your work VISA just as you would now if you want to say go work in the USA or Canada.
Is there some reason these young people don't want to follow due process and get work VISA's? Are they wanting to work illegally and not pay taxes etc?

Whilst they have embraced Europe they feel that UK Government is broken, austerity was due to the Government and greedy banks and that sentiment goes back before the referendum which is why many supported Corbyn.
Which is extraordinary is it not because it was the Looney Labour government that recklessly spent all the country's money in an uncontrolled fashion and who sold all our gold reserves for a pittance to foreign interests.

Again, another clear indicator of how easily the young are duped and how gullible they can be whereas the older generation can't be fooled so easily and see right through the duplicitous and utterly false promises and empty rhetoric of old Commie Corbyn.

But they are rapidly tiring of his politicking
Yes I agree. It seems that more and more younger people are seeing the light and have realised that they were played like a fiddle by Corbyn and his Momentum thugs at the last election and many are now rightly very angry.

They are correct that UK politics/government is broken. Actually it's not so much broken as simply completely undemocratic. The curtain has been drawn back due to BrExit and people can now see what our government and political system are in truth, which is just a sham democracy being operated by a bunch of elitist crony dictators in the EU.

Last night's Question Time gave me encouragement because it showed young people who actually did know what they were talking about and who could see that we needed to be out of the EU.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 01:18 PM

Why do you think we will do well on our own vs the global economy when we cannot negotiate our way out of a paper bag and have unskilled politicians? I can't understand how any of this will improve overnight or even long term.
But we don't have unskilled politicians Annie or politicians that can not negotiate.

What we have is a government infested with EU operatives who are simply doing their bidding. May hasn't brokered any deal at all. She has tabled the deal that the EU has given her to table nothing more.

Our government is an illusion. It is nothing more than an arm of the EU and that's why after 2 years we have still not been allowed to Leave the EU.

And you of course support all of this. You support this dictatorship and continue to try to dupe the rest of us into thinking that we are an independent country who would be better to work within the EU.

So mote it be eh?

I was encouraged at least twice to join the Freemasons and its wider Common Purpose community but my conscience and research held me back. I consider myself lucky that it did. You and your cronies are still working towards you great "One World Government" and one world currency.

Thanks but no thanks.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 01:19 PM

It's better to be part of a democratic empire with a say in how it's run than to have them as neighbours controlling our economy by using their clout externally.
Mr Cameron didn't have much luck convincing all the members of the EU when he visited Brussels in a last ditch attempt to win some demands before he called a referendum....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-01-2019, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
But we don't have unskilled politicians Annie or politicians that can not negotiate.

What we have is a government infested with EU operatives who are simply doing their bidding. May hasn't brokered any deal at all. She has tabled the deal that the EU has given her to table nothing more.

Our government is an illusion. It is nothing more than an arm of the EU and that's why after 2 years we have still not been allowed to Leave the EU.

And you of course support all of this. You support this dictatorship and continue to try to dupe the rest of us into thinking that we are an independent country who would be better to work within the EU.

So mote it be eh?

I was encouraged at least twice to join the Freemasons and its wider Common Purpose community but my conscience and research held me back. I consider myself lucky that it did. You and your cronies are still working towards you great "One World Government" and one world currency.

Thanks but no thanks.
I certainly don't support any of it. We are where we are and should be more realistic in what can be achieved with the people we have in a short time with no concrete plans. I am sorry you do not see that is the reality. We should not be running into this like headless chickens on the basis of half baked conspiracy theories when it has been clearly evidenced this week how ineptly the country is being run.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-01-2019, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Mr Cameron didn't have much luck convincing all the members of the EU when he visited Brussels in a last ditch attempt to win some demands before he called a referendum....
I keep seeing reference to him and would be great to understand how we will get what we want from the EU after we leave as outsiders given we had no luck throwing our vast weight around as part of the club. Never mind negotiating deals with other big players on our own. How do Germany and France manage? It just underlines my point on ineptitude. It's like this is a big exercise to determine our ability on the world stage and we are failing.

Page 19 of 28 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top