Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 05:19 PM

Sheltered housing

We (family) are considering a sheltered housing place for my Aunt she is in her late 60's the youngest by 10 years and has learning difficulties nothing specific she has never been diagnosed with but struggles reading/writing,numbers, money etc and very trusting. She lived her life with her parents and on my Nan's death she was then cared for by my great Aunt since her death she has proved to be pretty self reliant, more than anyone realised. She now lives in a council bungalow, but is isolated. But we are concerned (nieces/nephews) that as her siblings - (my Mom included) get older and less mobile she need the extra care of a sheltered housing place. Where they often have as a basic communal facilities, such as lounges, hairdressers, library services and laundry. Some have a restaurant, should you chose not to cook for yourself which would be a good ide and give her daily company.

Any thoughts, I know Eileen you live in something similar but for different reasons, anyone live in something like this or know someone who does?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 06:31 PM

Re: Sheltered housing

Hi Kazz, I had an aunt who was finding it difficult to cope on her own with everyday life after my uncle died.
The family decided she would be happier in sheltered accomodation where she would have her own room but would have her meals with other residents. There was a laundry room and ironing facilities, occasional trips .....but above she would have company.

I took the liberty of looking to see if there was an Abbeyfield House (where my aunt was) in your area, not sure if it's in the area you want.

http://accommodationsearch.abbeyfiel...d-england.aspx
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 08:33 PM

Hello Kazz

My sister has worked in an Abbeyfield home in Sheffield for many years and before he died my Uncle Oliver was on the Board of Trustees for The Abbeyfield Society. They are a not for profit organisation and I think there is usually a bit of a waiting list. If you are able to secure a place in an Abbeyfield home for your Aunt I am sure it would be an excellent choice.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2011, 12:04 AM

I used to 'do' for an elderly couple and after the death of the husband his elderly wife went into an Abbeyfield. She liked it very much and they were very good to her and the whole place was extremely well run
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2011, 10:08 AM

Hi Kazz when my step mother developed Alzheimer she became increasingly difficult for Dad to manage, he was in his late seventies and not in the best of health and they both had problems with the stairs.

After Dad had a spell in hospital the family decided the best course of action was sheltered housing. Dad was very reluctant to leave the house he had occupied for over 50 years but we took him to look around the local Warden controlled sheltered housing saying it was his choice no one would make him him go .The little flats were lovely and overlooked the Derbyshire countryside (and Farley Hill where Dad went as a boy) as well as having things like communal areas including a laundry. There was also a garden and green house for the residents to enjoy.

The decision was made somewhat reluctantly to move there and a flat became vacant quite quickly. We involved Dad in the choice of wall colour /curtains and my sister and I decorated and cleaned the flat from top to bottom.

Once installed in there all apprehension disappeared and Dad was really happy . The Warden called each day and there was also an alarm system if they got into difficulties . There were events down in the big room including Sunday lunch if required (with a pre lunch sherry) .

Dad had many happy years in Underhall until he died aged 89. Step Mother survived him by two years (which she spent in a nursing home).

I am so glad we decided to move them there, although he hadn't been fully aware of it Dad had really struggled in the house and he said a weight was lifted when he had settled in to the flat.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2011, 02:44 PM

I remember when the Underhall complex was opened Meg. Dr Marty's Darley Dale practice was also new and so handy. It all seemed more like a retirement community to me - one of the best (and local authority run). Each time I pass, I think that I wouldn't mind moving there if ever I needed sheltered accommodation.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I remember when the Underhall complex was opened Meg. Dr Marty's Darley Dale practice was also new and so handy. It all seemed more like a retirement community to me - one of the best (and local authority run). Each time I pass, I think that I wouldn't mind moving there if ever I needed sheltered accommodation.
I remember it being opened too I think the Queen opened it, in fact my neice Emma presented a bouquet to the Queen, if I am not much mistaken that was for the opening of Underhall .

My family use the Doctors there too
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2011, 06:41 PM

I do hope that your Aunt is asked if she would like to move there, it makes me furious the way people decide for you what is best, we may be old but we are not helpless.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
I do hope that your Aunt is asked if she would like to move there, it makes me furious the way people decide for you what is best, we may be old but we are not helpless.
Ooh Annie, I don't think anyone here would be callous enough to move a relative without talking it over with them first. With my aged aunt, she was taken to see a few places and she decided on the Abbeyfield herself.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2011, 06:57 PM

Sorry Mags but the mere mention of putting people in homes sends me scatty.I am an ardent Winston Churchill fan and I shall be following his words if they try to put me in a home... We shall fight them on the beaches speech.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top