Join for free
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 09:39 AM

Mental Longevity

Just had a conversation with a friend about the fact that we are controlled by a kind of computer called a brain. Electrical impulses and wired nerve connections. Not much different to this thing we are talking on. Just a bit more complicated. Do you think that maybe in the next 50 years the technology to 'back up' the brain and it's memory system will be effective? If it can be done then life need not end even though the physical body could then be artificial and replaceable. I'm not sure that it would be a good idea but is it possible? What do you think?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 10:41 AM

Re: Mental Longevity

Nectome have already managed to preserve an entire rabbit brain using vitrifixation and they have also done it with a ladies brain 2.5 hours after she died.

If it has been thought about someone will and can do it. What the benefits are is yet to be seen.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 10:51 AM

That worries me, because I feel we would all become humanized robots, controlled by the state!

I am sure we are all afraid of death,but I would much rather be dead than controlled!
I believe that Vascular dementia deteriorates the brain & average life expectancy, after diagnosis, is no more than 5 years.

If life went on forever, we would need to have new body parts, & we would be no better than a machine with a computer controlled brain...... so I think we could still be switched off!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 01:12 PM

Ciderman talking about brains, there must be a connection between your and mine across "The Dutch". I've just been reading "Why the West Rules - For Now" by Ian Morris. It's basically a field theory of the whole history of mankind. In it's last stages he talks about the kind of thing you mention here. The merging of technology with biology. He quotes a guy named Ray Kurzweil who you might be interested in. Google him.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Nectome have already managed to preserve an entire rabbit brain using vitrifixation and they have also done it with a ladies brain 2.5 hours after she died.

If it has been thought about someone will and can do it. What the benefits are is yet to be seen.
I agree with you solo, somebody is allready experimenting
with humans for sure! So it will come to pass,
I doubt very much if it will benefit many individuals though!
On the ladies brain, did they manage to get it fired up
again after two and a half hours being switched off??
Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
Just had a conversation with a friend about the fact that we are controlled by a kind of computer called a brain. Electrical impulses and wired nerve connections. Not much different to this thing we are talking on. Just a bit more complicated. Do you think that maybe in the next 50 years the technology to 'back up' the brain and it's memory system will be effective? If it can be done then life need not end even though the physical body could then be artificial and replaceable. I'm not sure that it would be a good idea but is it possible? What do you think?
Real life will become non existant
Fiction will be the new reality Roll on the apocalypse
Regards Donkeyman!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I agree with you solo, somebody is allready experimenting
with humans for sure! So it will come to pass,
I doubt very much if it will benefit many individuals though!
On the ladies brain, did they manage to get it fired up
again after two and a half hours being switched off??
Regards Donkeyman!
Mcintyre (Nectome) says The woman’s brain is “one of the best-preserved ever,” although her being dead for even a couple of hours damaged it. Her brain is not being stored indefinitely but is being sliced into paper-thin sheets and imaged with an electron microscope.

That sounds like tech lingo for it may be the best preserved but at this stage it is no better than a brain dead human.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

07-08-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Mcintyre (Nectome) says The woman’s brain is “one of the best-preserved ever,” although her being dead for even a couple of hours damaged it. Her brain is not being stored indefinitely but is being sliced into paper-thin sheets and imaged with an electron microscope.

That sounds like tech lingo for it may be the best preserved but at this stage it is no better than a brain dead human.
Thanks for the answer Solo, l am interested in these things
so l wanted to know, thanks again!
Regards Donkeyman!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 04:34 PM

I regularly back up my brain's memory files- I call it keeping notebooks!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

08-08-2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I regularly back up my brain's memory files- I call it keeping notebooks!
So do l ST but l cant find the notebooks?

Regards Donkeyman!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top