Join for free
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2011, 11:00 PM

Package or independent travel?

Do you book your holidays independently from flight to hotel to transfer? do you book a package deal at the travel agents or half an half; using a travel agent for one or the other but book the hotel or flight?

I have done all in my time package deals, then moved onto booking just a flight and finding accomodation when I landed, have booked a flight myself and also booked a couple of nights in a hotel to find my feet then found accomodation myself.

Also booked flights and stayed in friends villa's.

Which is your choice have to say as I am getting older I am becoming a little split personality, I like the comfort of the package deal but still have the " backpack traveller" within me. I love local buses and trains. And find I still have the courage myself to do it myself.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2011, 07:32 AM

Re: Package or independent travel?

It has to be indepenent booking for me. I hate being push around like a Sardine.
Package hols are for those who love crowds and need assistance with their thoughts imo.
Milo
Cyprus
Milo is female  Milo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2011, 10:55 AM

Always book independently unless a discounted offer or city break that's to good to miss.

Just had a three week hols in the Far East, part of which 14 days was a cruise around Thailand and Malaysia, I booked flights from Cyprus with Emirates, spent a night in a hotel in Singapore booked online, did the cruise which I booked over the phone with the Cruiseline themselves, then at embarking we spent the day in Singapore before going to the airport and flying with Air Asia to Bali for a few days, return flight booked online and coincided with the flight back from Singapore to where I live in Cyprus. Booked a two bed apt for £50 per night for two people in Bali direct with the Australian owner.

Lovely holiday and everything went smoothly but it's a long old flight even from here!

Planning a holiday of a lifetime in our 60th year which is in 2013 don't know where yet but it will be independently done!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2011, 01:04 PM

Because of uncertainties in the travel industry (companies going 'bust' and volcanic ash disrupting travel arrangements etc, etc) I prefer package holidays in which, should anything go wrong, the travel company are, obliged, by the terms of the Abta bonding, to get you home again.

Recently returned from an 'All inclusive' holiday in Paphos in which, if I wanted, I needn't have left the hotel at all the entire time I was there as it was indeed 'all inclusive' and every need was catered for. (Yes folks, there was ample food for me and I didn't go hungry ).

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top