Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 08:17 AM

ANZAC Day tomorrow.

There are normally huge gatherings all over the country, in every small town or big city but this year will be different! People are putting symbols on their letter boxes or fences. There will be a dawn parade as usual but separated from each other. There will still be the Last Post played at dawn from a distance.
The streets are very quiet, just people walking their dogs, making jokes about separation while walking in the middle of the road and exchanging laughter.

keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 09:09 AM

Re: ANZAC Day tomorrow.

Are you going to the end of your driveway at dawn with a candle?..A lot of people are doing that here. We'' give you a wave across the ditch tomorrow morning at around 6 am. It will be 8 am there?...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 09:14 AM

Ciderman The streets may be quiet but I understand a tribute is to be paid to the bravery of the Anzac troops from balconies and driveways across Australia and New Zealand.

The Anzacs won't be forgotten...
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 09:16 AM

We seem to pay more attention to bloody Ramadan now over here. It's utterly disgusting.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
We seem to pay more attention to bloody Ramadan now over here. It's utterly disgusting.
Very True. I notice that Keir Starmer was sucking up to Moslem voters yesterday by welcoming the advent of Ramadan. Not a peep from him about St. George's Day.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
There are normally huge gatherings all over the country, in every small town or big city but this year will be different! People are putting symbols on their letter boxes or fences. There will be a dawn parade as usual but separated from each other. There will still be the Last Post played at dawn from a distance.
The streets are very quiet, just people walking their dogs, making jokes about separation while walking in the middle of the road and exchanging laughter.

I wish we had your enthusiasm here for St George's Day.

I hope the special day goes well for you all.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 02:38 PM

During WW1 there was a New Zealand military hospital in the grounds of what was my grand fathers land. Many of these men died of their wounds and are buried in Brockenhurst Churchyard. There is a memorial which is kept in top condition as are the many grave stones by the War Graves Commission.
Every year on ANZAC Day there is a service held at this Church in memory of those that gave their lives but sadly, this year there will be none but these men will be in the thoughts and prayers of many of the local folk who live around here.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->

Ditto. Here's to all ANZAC troops who never returned
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2020, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Are you going to the end of your driveway at dawn with a candle?..A lot of people are doing that here. We'' give you a wave across the ditch tomorrow morning at around 6 am. It will be 8 am there?...
Yes we did Keezoy at our 6 am. Everybody waving torches at each other. A bit windy for candles
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2020, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->

I have never understood the English enthusiasm for St George - he was a Greek with no connection to England at all and several countries claim him as their patron saint.

ANZAC Day is a quite different remembrance day about ordinary people doing unmythical but none the less extraordinary things.

Edit:

ANZAC Day is not Australia Day. The latter is 26th January.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top