Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2011, 12:50 PM

Make do and mend on the upturn

Has anyone noticed how people are returning to the "Make-do and mend" ways of living.
Are we going back because of the economy? maybe so...or because it reminds us of the safety of "times gone by" which we may or may not recall. Nan's for tea homemade cakes and hand knitted jumpers, soups etc times were we were safe and happy.
I notice a lot of people making handmade/homemade gifts now, and taking a cake/pie when you go somewhere. Sophie (niece 17) is well chuffed at the moment because they had a party/tea for a friends birthday and Sophie made the cup cakes and iced them (thanks to Nan's early training )

Is it a backlash towards solo ipads,computer games etc. just the act of someone stopping what they are doing and sitting down to share a cup of tea and piece of something and chating with you is heart warming.

A few years ago no one would say "I can't do that I can't afford it" because everyone had credit cards and wanted to be seen to be spending. Now it seems the fashion to save rather than spend and stay in and have a meal than go out and spend a fortune I wonder if we will continue down this path or turn full circle again.

But while it lasts I hope people feel comforted.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Re: Make do and mend on the upturn

I hope it is a trend, Kazz, a welcome one. As a Depression baby I grew up with the "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" mantra, and it's stuck with me pretty much thru my life. Not that I can't be extravagant or splurge, oh my yes, but generally a saver. I wouldn't want to be without many of the new technological advances, but hope a blend of the old and new will work ..

What a good, thought-provoking question!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2011, 05:34 PM

There have been times in my adult life where I've made do and mended, simply because I couldn't afford whatever it was, and I have never in my life used a credit card so, if I didn't have the money, I couldn't have it. Simple as, but I didn't bellyache about it.

Contrarywise, when they were two decent wages coming into the house, I'd think nothing of going out of town and spending a £100 or so on new clothes, at least once every six weeks.

Now I'm back to the other place again, but I don't mind. I have a roof over my head, a car to drive, and a freezer stocked with food.

As long as I can keep the wolves from the door, I'll be okay, and just hope that others can live with what they need, and not what they want.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2011, 05:40 PM

There is nothing wrong with using credit cards if you practice self-discipline and don't charge what you cannot pay off when the bill comes. . I have had them all my life and have never once carried a balance; pay off in full every month. They are a great convenience; even more so back in the days of the float ... the period before your money was deducted from your account so was still earning interest.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2011, 05:47 PM

I think I feel this way because I am older and dont mind not having things, i dont like the Wear and throw away attitude, its a good excuse to make poor quality things. No if I dont need it I dont buy it. With the price of heating who can afford to buy and throw away and keep warm.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2011, 08:23 PM

I have always practised 'make do and mend' it comes naturally to me. I looked out some gloves ready for the cold weather the other day and realised my husband bought them for me in 1976

Some of my clothes are 15/20 years old I don't do 'fashionable' preferring 'classic' and only buy something new if I really need it.

That is why I am hesitating about buying a food mixer as mentioned in another thread, unfortunately my hands are causing me problems or I would not be considering it.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2011, 08:28 PM

What about patchwork quilts and making rugs out of old jumpers and a piece of sacking at the back!.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
What about patchwork quilts and making rugs out of old jumpers and a piece of sacking at the back!.
....and more as mentioned in this thread
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...316#post140316
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

14-11-2011, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
There is nothing wrong with using credit cards if you practice self-discipline and don't charge what you cannot pay off when the bill comes. . I have had them all my life and have never once carried a balance; pay off in full every month. They are a great convenience; even more so back in the days of the float ... the period before your money was deducted from your account so was still earning interest.
Eeek! I just re-read this and it comes thru so stuffy and sanctimonious!! Didn't mean it to sound like smug Ms. Know-It-All!. True, but could have been phrased much better ...... sorry, guys!
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Eeek! I just re-read this and it comes thru so stuffy and sanctimonious!! Didn't mean it to sound like smug Ms. Know-It-All!. True, but could have been phrased much better ...... sorry, guys!
LOL Eileen, that's the problem with posting, you can interpret things in so many different ways. We know you're not being stuffy and sanctimonious though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top