Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 08:15 PM

Asteroid!

Hypothetical Question!
If you were an astronomer who discovered an asteroid a quarter the size of the moon, hurtling towards earth at 20,000 mph with absolutely no doubt of impact, would you tell the world or would you just shut up about it?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 08:15 PM

Re: Asteroid!

I would just duck and hope it missed me
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 08:27 PM

I think I would tell the World about it so that the people could have a last few days of fun before copping it. Of course, the asteroid would be named after me for discovering it but I doubt anyone would be left to appreciate it.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 08:37 PM

Nasa predicts the Earth is safe from the menacing Apophis asteroid for 100 years.
https://abcnews.go.com/Weird/wireSto...years-76707752
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 08:38 PM

If it was going to be a total extinction event with no possible of evading it then I would make it as widely known as I could and then sit back and watch the panic! Might as well get a giggle about it eh?
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
Hypothetical Question!
If you were an astronomer who discovered an asteroid a quarter the size of the moon, hurtling towards earth at 20,000 mph with absolutely no doubt of impact, would you tell the world or would you just shut up about it?
What an awful death; asteroids can be very painful.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 08:49 PM

I wouldn't say a word, there would be little anyone could do about it so better to let people remain in blissful ignorance...
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I wouldn't say a word, there would be little anyone could do about it so better to let people remain in blissful ignorance...
Surely you know somebody who deserves to be told.

An anti social neighbour; the man who beat you to the last parking space at the supermarket; there must be someone.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 08:59 PM

That's an easy one. Here comes the nerd...

Astronomy probably has more transparency and cooperation than any other science field out there.

If I knew, you can bet that someone in the field would too - in very short order. No reason to keep a secret that can't be kept. Besides, I would be putting everyone to work.

We have likely already likely had such an event - the giant-impact theory that formed the moon was the result of Theia (asteroid or proto-planet) strikin the the earth causing the ejecta to form our little satellite. There was no life around then, but it did form and flourish 1.4 billion years after the strike. We have us and a moon to show for it!

Though we (especially nerds) would be doomed, I'd work with everyone willing on the planet to save extremophiles, chemophiles, viruses, bacteria, prions, virons, and any other life that could live and evolve without light and moderate temperatures on the opposite side of the calculated impact location.

I'd be spreading the word so the last human achievement would be saving the little Adams and Eves of a planet soon to be wiped clean in hopes they would get things going again.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
Hypothetical Question!
Calculate the impact area then go to a place in the world diametrically opposite. It would be a planet killer but at least I wouldn't get squashed and killed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top