Join for free
View Poll Results: What do you want to happen by end of year?
Deal 3 14.29%
No Deal 15 71.43%
Extension of transition 3 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 03:20 PM

Deal before Year End?

The whole media, stock market and business hanging on to"these hard fought negotiations" or is it just politicians playing to the crowds?

For me I think the EU are emboldened by Bojo's plummeting popularity and Trump's downfall and think maybe UK should taste the reality of a no deal. Anyway what do you all think?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 03:36 PM

Re: Deal before Year End?

I completely agree.
I have been hoping for a no-deal Brexit for the past four years.

Of course, it won't be long after the end of this year before the EU decide that, yes, they do want a free-trade deal with us. As everyone knows, we buy more from them than they buy from us, so they'd lose a great deal of their sales without a deal.
They are now also fully aware that we are not going to accept their preferred type of 'deal' under which we effectively remain part of the EU under the control of Brussels. That is a non-starter.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
The whole media, stock market and business hanging on to"these hard fought negotiations" or is it just politicians playing to the crowds?

For me I think the EU are emboldened by Bojo's plummeting popularity and Trump's downfall and think maybe UK should taste the reality of a no deal. Anyway what do you all think?
Imo you are falling, or have fallen into the same assumptions as
your chief negotiator about brexiteers and Boris in particular ??
Contrary to your hopes about Boris's popularity his stock has rsen
among the leave community due to his firm stance with the so
called negotiations despite all the flak created by the remoaning
establishment??
For myself l await the reality of no deal with relish !!

Donkeyman! 👍👍😁👍👍
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 04:59 PM

IMO you missed an option: "Don't know". At the moment, I don't honestly know what the outcome will be. I do know I couldn't care less one way or the other as long as we come out of the EU totally free and clear of all its demands for level playing fields, ECJ demands, etc.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 05:12 PM

What I think is that you are making the schoolboy error of paying far too much heed to what the media are telling you.
Have you not learned from media-influenced polls that always get it so wrong?
Not just with the referendum itself, but with the GE last year?

Quite apart from the fact that it is common for a new PM to see their popularity decline once elected, Boris's popularity is far from "plummeting" in reality I suspect, since many people are sensible enough to understand that he has faced the most difficult times of any leader in almost a century.
They are also often astute enough to see the unwarranted and ongoing media assault which is an obvious continuation of the pro-EU anti-UK deceit which has pervaded from before the Brexit referendum.

If you want to see a leader whose popularity has really plummeted since their election, see that of France's Macron who has seen (and continues to see) riots against his actions.
Les Gilet Jaunes for example.

The EU have been far more emboldened by the number of visits from disingenuous UK celebrities and politicians who have tried to suggest that they spoke for a majority of people against the UK leaving.
Undoubtedly the decline of Trump has made some difference, but in reality it has been the input of those determined to thwart Brexit and ignore the will of the UK people who have influenced the EU stance far more.

What is certain is that, since December last year, the UK stance regarding Brexit has remained as it always should have been right from the very beginning which is to put the UK first and not the EU.

As a result, the actions of the EU could well lead to it's downfall - certainly in the form which the EU now exists.
Major change is now almost inevitable for the EU.
When even the most ardent of peo-EU reporters like Katya Adler admit that member countries within the EU are divided you know something is wrong.

Better than that though is that the world is watching.
It sees the EU openly bullying both member nations and non-members.
Not only making frankly ridiculous demands of the EU, but of Switzerland too.
Then there's the bullying of Poland and Hungary which - as I have mentioned elsewhere - is leading other existing EU member countries into questioning their position within the so-called "union".

If I had to briefly summarise what I think, it would be this:
The EU seem to want to shoot themselves in more than one foot at the same time.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 06:58 PM

From Twitter....The Chief Negotiator for the EU has told MEPs that negotiations on a post-brexit deal could continue to Wednesday but no longer. Ho Hum!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
From Twitter....The Chief Negotiator for the EU has told MEPs that negotiations on a post-brexit deal could continue to Wednesday but no longer. Ho Hum!
Which Wednesday?

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 07:43 PM

As long as we leave as a truly independent country then what on earth is wrong with a free trade deal?

For the life of me I cannot understand this desire to break links with trading partners, established over decades, that bring mutual benefit to all.

For me, I just want to dump the EU, not Europe. Why burn bridges if you don't have to? That, to me, just smacks of cutting off your nose to spite your face, completely nonsensical...
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 07:58 PM

I become more convinced, every day, that the EU pantomime has reached a stage where the EU no longer feels capable of stopping us, giving us a deal, or seeing us leave with no deal.

I am certain that the whole show is about saying to all of the other prisoners, "Hey, you see how difficult we can make it for anyone thinking that leaving might be a good idea. Anyone who makes an attempt will be treated like this!"

They've lost us, but they think that no other country will have the balls to make the attempt.

I predict a "No Deal" outcome, but after quite a lot more "negotiating".

Then, watch out for the further defense activity at the ports.

Like most, I still hope that Boris will stick to his guns.

Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
As long as we leave as a truly independent country then what on earth is wrong with a free trade deal?

For the life of me I cannot understand this desire to break links with trading partners, established over decades, that bring mutual benefit to all.

For me, I just want to dump the EU, not Europe. Why burn bridges if you don't have to? That, to me, just smacks of cutting off your nose to spite your face, completely nonsensical...
Our relationship with the EU has always been unequal and it caused the UK to abandon a lot of our long-term trading partners when we joined the then EEC; countries like New Zealand; South Africa and Israel for example.

Europe is a continent, so I don't quite understand that comment; I'm pretty sure that most of us have little or no problem with the vast majority of European countries and their people.
It is (as you say) the EU that is a problem, and not just for us British.

If any bridges are burned it is because of EU intransigence.
Some trade will inevitably continue even if the split between the UK and the EU is ill-tempered, but how much does depend upon the EU - and remember that they sell us far, far more each and every year than we sell to them.

Once free we can buy and sell where we choose to do so, whereas the EU will always be restricted by their protectionist policies.
We are already seeing how being free of EU rules can make the UK faster in making decisions.
So yes, it does seem nonsensical that the EU would rather cut off their nose just to spite their face ............. yet it is looking increasingly likely that this will be the outcome.

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top