Join for free
Page 25 of 27 « First < 15 23 24 25 26 27 >
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 11:28 AM

Re: Is Brexit over ??

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So where do you buy your tomatoes? I've rarely found anything to rival tomatoes that you have as standard in many European countries. We import most of ours from Spain it seems. Where do the British tomatoes go? Where do the tastiest strawberries find their way? Where does Welsh lamb end up? Is there a secret place that all these wonderful things ae sold (other than posh farmer's markets or other places where they are super expensive)?
Go to a market instead of Waitrose, you will find loads of locally sourced products.

I get most of my fruit and vegetables from my friends business - all local produce and all top quality. They aren't that expensive either compared to Tesco etc

I don't know why you have so many problems and only buy crap food. Welsh lamb is sold in most supermarkets...
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I read that the UK was 109% self-sufficient in lamb in 2019.
Why can't we use our own and let the EU import the tasteless crap that we're palmed off with?
Surely if there really are problems exporting it that's the answer right there, staring pproducers in the face?

The same for the ruddy shellfish, as I have said before: I live on the coast and yet I can not buy a fresh British crab or lobster today.
Not for love nor money.

So if it rebalances things so that British people can buy British food AND it is more carbon-friendly by it not travelling unnecessarily I'm all for it.
As l explained earlier Zaphod, our producers get a better price from
exporting to Europe, therefore they don't market their stuff here
for the cheaper market, only for the premium price market in
smaller quantities !! The reason being most Brits won't pay the
premium price, understandably imo !
If the subsidy supported EU market was not available to them they
WOULD sell at a reasonable price because there would be no one
else to sell to??
Maybe all this will change if we ever exit EU completely??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 12:13 PM

Hi

The Europeans pay a premium for our fesh seafood.

The operative word being fresh.

If it is frozen they can get it cheaper lsewhere but they want fresh.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
As l explained earlier Zaphod, our producers get a better price from
exporting to Europe, therefore they don't market their stuff here
for the cheaper market, only for the premium price market in
smaller quantities !! The reason being most Brits won't pay the
premium price, understandably imo !
If the subsidy supported EU market was not available to them they
WOULD sell at a reasonable price because there would be no one
else to sell to??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
You're only saying what I earlier.

Add to that first that we don't as a nation eat what we used to any more as with my scrag end example, and that for most British consumers, when an average consumer looks at a packet of whatever they are not interested in the taste, or even where they come from.
"60p for these or £1-69 for those" is most frequently the deciding factor, sadly.

Who knows if or when any of it will change?

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Oh come on!
Please don't start down that road again.
We have left: we are out.
It's that simple.
Denying that at the same time as discussing new difficulties which are the result of leaving is a ruddy big clue that we have indeed exited the EU completely.

The way forward is to adapt to these changes, it really is that simple.
Moaning about change won't butter the parsnips, as they say.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The Europeans pay a premium for our fesh seafood.

The operative word being fresh.

If it is frozen they can get it cheaper lsewhere but they want fresh.
They can't buy most of what the UK's fisherman export from anywhere else fresh though, and that's why the Spanish can't cook their Paella or French eat their lobsters and scallops at the moment.
It cuts both ways.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 12:28 PM

They can't buy most of what the UK's fisherman export from anywhere else fresh though, and that's why the Spanish can't cook their Paella or French eat their lobsters and scallops at the moment.
It cuts both ways.
Hi

I appreciate that, they are just refusing to buy it because of cost.

They think we should take the hit, not them.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 12:45 PM

Like Swimmy, I am fortunate to live in the Shires where it is easy to buy local sourced foodstuffs. Tomatoes - absolutely delicious, all English Fruit and Vegetables - tasty and fresh, Chicken and Eggs- from local farm shop, Bacon and Sausages - from local butcher, Lamb? so expensive refuse to buy it,[Used to love Lamb's Liver, Mash with Onion Gravy but unfortunately on Warfarin and it's too high in vitamin K.] Beef? I buy both Shin and Rib and slow cook it. Buy minced beef a lot too, all locally sourced.
Prefer to buy white meat and Gammon these days. Refuse to buy EU wines, will buy Australian, Californian, S.African and even some good Argentine wines instead. Unfortunately, have no choice with Citrus fruits such as lemons and limes from the EU so for past 6 months have been making Vanilla cakes rather than Lemon or Lime flavoured.

Of course, all of the above cost more than at the Supermarket, and we don't all have the luxury of being able to choose, but my goodness, the taste difference in local English produce to the EU produce is phenomenal.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

27-01-2021, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I appreciate that, they are just refusing to buy it because of cost.

They think we should take the hit, not them.
Market forces will always win out.
Either agreement is reached or change will happen, both for the producer and the consumer.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

27-01-2021, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Like Swimmy, I am fortunate to live in the Shires where it is easy to buy local sourced foodstuffs. Tomatoes - absolutely delicious, all English Fruit and Vegetables - tasty and fresh, Chicken and Eggs- from local farm shop, Bacon and Sausages - from local butcher, Lamb? so expensive refuse to buy it,[Used to love Lamb's Liver, Mash with Onion Gravy but unfortunately on Warfarin and it's too high in vitamin K.] Beef? I buy both Shin and Rib and slow cook it. Buy minced beef a lot too, all locally sourced.
Prefer to buy white meat and Gammon these days. Refuse to buy EU wines, will buy Australian, Californian, S.African and even some good Argentine wines instead. Unfortunately, have no choice with Citrus fruits such as lemons and limes from the EU so for past 6 months have been making Vanilla cakes rather than Lemon or Lime flavoured.

Of course, all of the above cost more than at the Supermarket, and we don't all have the luxury of being able to choose, but my goodness, the taste difference in local English produce to the EU produce is phenomenal.
Hi

Spot on Shroppy.

I am lucky, I have access to local produce at wholesale prices.
I buy British, it does cost more but minimal.

You are 1005 right on the price of lamb, it is a disgrace.

I can get three full breasts of lamb for q fiver.

Compare that with the price in the supermarket.

It is a huge con.

We cannot sell eggs at the moment.

We are giving them away rather than paying to tip them.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 01:00 PM

You're only saying what I earlier.

Add to that first that we don't as a nation eat what we used to any more as with my scrag end example, and that for most British consumers, when an average consumer looks at a packet of whatever they are not interested in the taste, or even where they come from.
"60p for these or £1-69 for those" is most frequently the deciding factor, sadly.

Who knows if or when any of it will change?

Oh come on!
Please don't start down that road again.
We have left: we are out.
It's that simple.
Denying that at the same time as discussing new difficulties which are the result of leaving is a ruddy big clue that we have indeed exited the EU completely.

The way forward is to adapt to these changes, it really is that simple.
Moaning about change won't butter the parsnips, as they say.
Ha! Ha! Zaph!! It's the reverse l am worried about, it's that change
won't actually take place, there are still a couple of things to be
done yet before we can say we are out ??
Just because the papers are signed means nothing to me !!
It has to be accompanied by actions as well !!
I am hoping this ambassadorial row is the start of us breaking free
and l look forward to further moves of this nature which will prove
our independence, the main one being, us issuing the terms and
conditions for use of our fishing facilities ?
I know that financially it is insignificant but it is the ultimate test
of our sovereignty !!
Have we got it or not?
There is no such thing as almost in this case !!

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗

Page 25 of 27 « First < 15 23 24 25 26 27 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top