Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 01:41 PM

Re: Victoria Sponge Cake

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Yes, Meg, l also make sure that the eggs and marg or butter are at room temperature as l think cold ingredients take longer to warm up in the oven and the mixture doesn’t rise as well.
LOL, I'm like you Art, my eggs never see the fridge, and every
thing always room temp.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I only use...5oz of SR flour, 5oz granulated sugar, 5oz of softened Flora Buttery or good quality soft margarine, 2 eggs and milk to get the mixture to a dropping consistency.
I never, ever put baking powder in the mixture as l don’t like the taste or that weird feeling at the back of my teeth.

I put all the ingredients into my Magimix and process for 15 seconds.

I put equal amounts of the mixture into two greased sponge tins. I weigh each tin of mixture to have them as equal as can be.
I cook them for approx 20 mins on about 175C or until golden brown.

When cool, l fill them with whipped double cream and and lots of raspberry jam. I sprinkle icing sugar through a sieve on the top of the cake.
They are well risen and the texture is as soft as can be.

I have always used baking powder in my sponge cakes Art, I ensure that it is always sieved and well mixed in with my flour, so there is never any unlikeable aftertaste in the finished cake. I sometimes also put a teaspoon of vanilla essence into the mix as well. I guess times have changed since our own mam's version of 4oz of everything, 2 eggs and no baking powder.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

17-02-2021, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I make butter less sponge cake, much ,much lighter, I find using margarine/ butter, the sponge is to heavy...

This is such a light sponge, filled with fresh strawberries and fresh cream.
I bet it does taste nice pauline. I once had an australian sponge cake recipe without butter or caster sugar but using custard powder instead or cocoa powder if chocolate cake. It was lovely but do you think I can find it.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top