Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2010, 01:19 PM

Re: Book recommendations

I love Steven King, Dean Koontz and Neil Gaiman ("American Gods" and "Anansi Boys" are amazing). Terry Pratchett is a real favourite not only a humourist, but a really underrated satirist. The two Rankins - Ian ("Rebus") and Robert ("The Brentford Trilogy") are also must read authors for me. I met Robert Rankin at a St. Georges Day event in Brentford recently and he came across as a really genuine person. Humble too - when I thanked him for all the pleasure his books had given me over the years, he was really taken aback and genuinely moved.

I am currently re-reading the (non SF) books of Dan Simmons - I have read "The Terror" and "Drood" twice so far and am about to read them again - always a sign of a good book when you can re-read it and it still seems fresh and new.

Mick
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2010, 12:26 PM

Just reading 'Crisis' by Robin Cook wow a real nail biter and very good. Picked up a James Patterson from the library 'Daniel X' and a Michael Connelly 'The Brass Verdict' also picked up a writer haven't read before Quintin Jardine 'Aftershock' wonder if anyone knows about him.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2010, 04:53 PM

Jardine is one I've not heard of. Presently reading Susan Hills "The Vows of Silence", the latest in her excellent series about a British police Superintendant. A mix of psychological suspense and police procedural; good read.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2010, 12:51 AM

I must look for Susan Hills next time I go to the library a nice easy name to remember and I do like a nice psychological suspense.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2010, 02:22 AM

Ooops, CC, left out the apostrophe it's Hill !
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

28-05-2010, 05:06 PM

What a difference an apostophe makes thanks, Eileen.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

28-05-2010, 09:02 PM

If they have hers, start with the earliest. Each is a stand-alone story, but she develops the characters as they go on; makes for a more enjoyable read.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2010, 09:36 PM

One writer that I never grow tired of is Wilbur Smith. He must be getting quite old now and he writes historical adventure fiction.
For those new to him I would recommend to start with his first book "When the Lion Feeds". This is the first in a trilogy about the Courtney twin boys, growing up in South Africa before the Boer War. Wilbur Smith is a Rhodesian (now Zambia and Zimbabwe) and he writes beautifully, in such wonderfully descriptive way about the African continent, ancient an modern - warts and all. I have copies of every book he has written, but prefer the earlier ones. I can highly recommend him although his writing can get a bit violent and shocking sometimes.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

28-05-2010, 09:44 PM

That sounds interesting, Aerolor, I'll check the library online and see if any are there when I go tomorrow on my weekly trip.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2010, 11:58 PM

Wilbur Smith is a favourite of Mr Mags, he's read most of his books.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top