Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 09:16 AM

"I'm in the bread aisle dear."

"The batsman is Holding the bowlers Willey."
So said Brian Johnston at a cricket match way back when.

John Snagge, struggling to comment on the Oxford v Cambridge shrouded in thick fog said.
"I can’t see who is in the lead, It’s either Oxford or Cambridge."

But enough of this nostalgia.

I have been thinking of life in the 1950’s I lived in a council house until I was 24 & no one had a phone, except for some of the tradesmen.

Fast forward to 2013. Everyone has a a mobile phone & they are scarcely ever out of use..

My question is
“What the hell do we find to talk about now that we didn’t when there were no phones”?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 09:44 AM

Re: "I'm in the bread aisle dear."

have'nt mobiles come along way ,no longer the huge cumbersome things but these tiny flat screen do everything phones ,
well I carry mine with me when I take my dog awalk in the fields , just In case I need an Air Ambulance!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 09:52 AM

I know worries me a bit the inanity of the conversations I hear around me, found my mobile the other day and still haven't felt the need to switch it on. I can't think of anyone I want to speak to that I don't want to see while I chat to them.

Little texts - lived without them for so many years I don't feel the need to update everyone on every little thing I do.

I do wonder at the (is it ?) arrogance of some where they think every thought they have has to be broadcast !
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 09:53 AM

THat's very practical Eliza.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

14-11-2013, 10:01 AM

JUlie, my wife, nurse GIllian when answering her mobile puts on a strange, but very loud voice. YOu are right about being on stage. I think she gesticulates & poses to make up for not being able to see the caller.

JUst for the record, I don't and have never owned a mobile phone.
I gave up om technology when video recorders required programming.

I live in a world before postal codes & decimal currency
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 10:08 AM

My most annoying thing about mobiles is the constant blab some people do and with the loudest voice. In fact, its above normal talking decibels.
This is especially annoying on trams, buses and trains, that I have to use not having my own car. I once was on the National Express bus coming from Leeds to Nottingham and a woman spoke the whole 2 hours of the travel I don't normally feel like murdering people but that took me to the limit
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 10:22 AM

Tell you what does make me laugh is the people with the cordless/wireless set up and the thing in their ear, wandering along seemingly talking to themselves. Round here being so close to Brookwood mental hospital not that many years ago anyone doing that would have been rounded up as an escapee
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 10:30 AM

My question is
“What the hell do we find to talk about now that we didn’t when there were no phones”?
Robert I think the answer is we talked to each other in person.
Years ago houses seemed to be full of people, I was brought up in one with three generations in it at once as were lots of people.
Many families lived in the same village and spoke daily.

These days families are scatterer and many houses empty with no one to talk to.

I don't talk to anyone on my mobile , I mainly use it for texts .
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 10:43 AM

To chat incessantly on the old blower, be it on a landline or mobile contraption, is an acquired skill set like any other. It is only recently have I gone in for this sort of thing and at first I was dreadful at it with long pregnant pauses, dangerously long come to think of it as pauses can be construed as being not interested or not being interesting - nasty. Anyway I can now chat ceaselessly by just talking endless crap whenever I feel the need . Practise makes perfect .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 10:47 AM

I admit to owning a mobile phone - don't always know where it is - the cats play with it occasionally and have a habit of filing it under the sofa or under the bed. Once I even found it under the refridgerator. On the odd occasions that it has credit and is fully charged it usually lurks at the bottom of my handbag in case of emergency.

On the other hand - I was on a day out with a friend on Tuesday and she suddenly realised that she had left her mobile at home. She was uncomfortable without it and whinged about it for the entire day !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top