Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
GrumpyOldMan
USA
GrumpyOldMan is male  GrumpyOldMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 05:20 PM

"I Have To Wash My Hair"

I've seen some old movies and maybe something on tv where women say "I can't, I have to wash my hair." as an excuse when they don't want to go out with a man. I never had it said to me growing up (in the 70's) nor do I recall any friends who did. Was this a bona fide excuse or was it only used in the movies?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 05:23 PM

Re: "I Have To Wash My Hair"

I've never said it - I would bet its a movie remark .....
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 05:34 PM

I've said on numerous occasions that I need to wash my hair, but never as an excuse to not go out anywhere I wanted to go. A quick shampoo and blast with the hairdryer and I'll go - if I WANT to
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 05:38 PM

I too have said it too if the invitation was at short notice.If I was going out with someone I would prefer to look passable rather than witch like
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan ->
I've seen some old movies and maybe something on tv where women say "I can't, I have to wash my hair." as an excuse when they don't want to go out with a man. I never had it said to me growing up (in the 70's) nor do I recall any friends who did. Was this a bona fide excuse or was it only used in the movies?
Possibly, possibly in the days before hairdryers , women had to have a night in to wash and dry their hair. Don"t really know TBH
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 06:32 PM

Apricot - I forgot that gal - we did have a hairwash night and usually stuck fast to that arrangement .....
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 06:45 PM

I think it could be because Mothers in the past used to say " Your not going out with your hair wet " or " you'll catch a cold ". So you were reluctant to do anything or maybe it was just an excuse as he wasn't your type?
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan ->
Before I married, I'd asked a colleague at work out for the evening and we had a nice time. I was waiting with her at her bus stop and asked if she'd like to go out again on Thursday and she said "Ah, I'm having my hair done." Hmmm, thinks I, that sounds like the old brush off, but with a few people listening in at the bus stop I suggested maybe another evening and I was hugely relieved (and ecstatic) when she said yes.

Two or three years later, after we were married, she said she could have kicked herself for truthfully stating she was having her hair done, as she realised straight away it sounded like she was making a polite excuse. She didn't think I'd ask again and risk the public humiliation and was so relieved when I did.

I often think that if I'd just given up that my three lovely sons and my gorgeous grandson (another one on the way!!) would never have existed. It gives me the chills when I recall how close I was to not asking again...
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Apricot - I forgot that gal - we did have a hairwash night and usually stuck fast to that arrangement .....
Didn"t we just. On the other hand it was an excuse to go out with the other feller. Well for me anyway.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Possibly, possibly in the days before hairdryers , women had to have a night in to wash and dry their hair. Don"t really know TBH
Doesn't anyone remember the jingle....make Friday night Amami wave-set night??!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top