Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 06:34 PM

Train robber Biggs wins freedom

What do you think?

Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs has been granted release from his prison sentence on compassionate grounds, Justice Secretary Jack Straw has said.

He explained that the decision was based on medical evidence that Biggs's condition had deteriorated and he was not expected to recover.

Biggs is severely ill in hospital with pneumonia and doctors have said there is "not much hope" for him.

Biggs, 79, was refused parole by Mr Straw last month.

He rejected a recommendation by the Parole Board which said the risk Biggs posed was "manageable".

The inmate of Norwich Prison, who turns 80 this weekend, was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital in June suffering from a chest infection.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/8188479.stm
rune
New Member!
rune is female 

06-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Re: Train robber Biggs wins freedom

I think it stinks---he might well be dying but he could also recover. He only came back for the medical treatment. And he wrecked the guards life and the guards family life.

rune
Vicki
Croydon, Surrey
Vicki is female 

06-08-2009, 07:55 PM

Personally, I think he should have been released years ago.

Paedophiles, baby killers, murderers get much more lenient sentencs.

In my opinion, and in this case, the law is an ass.
Jan
Scotland
Jan is female  Jan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2009, 11:41 AM

I think he had far too much publicity.
He's old and ill so fair enough let him out.
However, he hasn't exactly served a long sentence and he only came back to make use of the NHS when his cash ran out. Pity we had to let him come back at all. I dread to think how much it's cost the rest of us in medical care and for his stay in prison.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 11:48 AM

I'm not going to comment on whether he should be released or not but it did strike me (while listening to SKY interviewing Reynolds the gang leader) that Biggs only got involved with the gang because he happened to know someone who was a train driver (And the gang needed to know how to drive the train the short distance to unloading point)

So, because of that simple fact, he spent the rest of his life either in prison or in exile, a waste of a life I guess.

And, for heavens sake, one of the gang must know who it was who coshed the driver, and I think that this needs to be known, it would help the general public come to a better understanding of who the really evil guys were.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top