Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2009, 03:26 PM

Do you go full board, half board or self-catering?

As the title says, what do you choose and why?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2009, 03:42 PM

Re: Do you go full board, half board or self-catering?

When going abroad we usually go half board where we have breakfast and an evening meal. We find we are usually out and about on trips during the day and we buy snacks when we need them. That way we are not tied to time.

I would never fancy staying All Inclusive as I would feel compelled to stay around the hotel and grounds to take advantage from all that I've paid for! I prefer the freedom of having breakfast, then the whole day to do as we please.

However, our holidays in the UK are always self catering .......unless we book a hotel in the winter, which isn't very often.
We have stayed in caravans (love them!), chalets and now our favourite resort has luxury appartments which provide fridge, freezer, full size cooker, microwave and automatic washing machine. We then have the choice to go out for a meal or rustle up something ourselves.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2009, 03:58 PM

It depends on so many other factors, I think. Generally we like to chose where we have our main meal, (which will be the evening meal usually) and to vary styles, so wouldn't rush to go half board where you eat in the same restaurant each night. Hotel & B&B has a lot to commend it, in that somebody else shops for and sets out your breakfast and your bed is made etc etc. But, if it is for more than a few days it can be nice to have the extra space and freedom you get with a self-catering place.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2009, 09:30 PM

When I go abroad with my Sister & Brother-in-law we always go into apartment. We only have breakfast there and it leaves us the rest of the day to ourselves-not tied to times. We usually buy snack for dinner and go to different restaurants for our evening meals.
Sweep
Kent UK
Sweep is female  Sweep has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2009, 09:54 AM

Self Catering, can do as we please then!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2009, 10:32 AM

These days always self catering We rent a cottage where we can take the dogs (I go with my son and after he married with my DIL too), I take all the food and do all the cooking.

About a week before we go I start cooking, bread, 2 cakes , steak and mushroom pie filling /curry/spaghetti bolognese. I freeze the food to take with us so I don't have to spend all the time cooking.

I take most of the food we will need with me except for some fruit and vegetables and fresh fish from the area in which we stay (Pembrokeshire ), we have a couple of meals out .
The first night we usually have a barbecue with a variety of different meats which I marinated at home the night before and a mixture of different salads.

Why do I prefer this form of holiday ? Because I like to take the dogs with us and eat at a time of our choosing. Meals eaten out are frequently a disappointment and seldom as good as those cooked at home.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2009, 12:46 PM

Self catering, we caravan. But my friend has booked us into a hotel for Crufts full board for two nights, £20.00 per dog and she's not saying how much it's costing for us yet, brace yourself!!! We stayed at this hotel before and we were treated like royalty, well the dogs were anyway!

Best get saving!
Calismum
Scotland
Calismum is female  Calismum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2009, 08:34 PM

Main hols we like to stat at a few locations so usually go B&B then we can do long day trips and not be tied down.

Weekends away we do the big posh hotel bit but that is only once or twice a year.

We were considering self catering cottage next year. This year was so wet we were a bit fed up with not being able to stay in out of the weather.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2009, 10:56 PM

We always book an apartment, then we can eat as and when we like, but always go out for the evening meal...
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2009, 09:37 PM

We do self catering cottages as we like to take our dog with us stayed in many lovely cottages and thoroughly enjoy them we go next saturday (10th October) to one of our favourites in Kings Meaburn which central to the Lake district and the Yorkshire dales.... Fingers crossed for some nice weather please....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top