Join for free
View Poll Results: What do you want to happen by end of year?
Deal 3 14.29%
No Deal 15 71.43%
Extension of transition 3 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Page 11 of 31 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2020, 11:11 AM

Re: Deal before Year End?

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Really?
That's a laugh considering the EU's form for being corrupt, isn't it?
Just look at the Santer Commission for a great example, or failing that any of the European Comission's Anti-Corruption reports will do.

The rest is even more of a laugh - the EU seem determined to tear themselves apart.
Self-destruction isn't protection.
The bullying bunch aren't content with trying to strong-arm Britain and the Swiss, they try it with Malaysia over palm oil and Brazil in a trade deal try-on over the Amazon.
Internally they've bullied Greece into submission and are trying the same now with Poland and Hungary.
That's no way to treat friends - and neither was the refusal to help out Italy when it became obvious that they needed help in the early stages of the pandemic.

If the EU was so certain of their union and it's operation; so sure that the UK isn't going to do well outside the union - why so much fear of the UK?
Its simple business not fear. They don't want their market or the Good Friday agreement being undermined by the UK and with Bozo in charge who can blame them? Would you trust him?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2020, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
Its simple business not fear. They don't want their market or the Good Friday agreement being undermined by the UK and with Bozo in charge who can blame them? Would you trust him?
What has the GFA got to do with EU and UK businesses ? Do you think the hard border in Ireland during the "troubles" was a customs border or something ... really ?

The UK has a single market as well you know and its worth a lot more to the EU than the EU single market is to us. The only reason you want us to stay in the single market and be aligned to the EU "level playing field" is so you can still claim you're in the EU and the SNP can continue its propaganda and lies about independence.

Stop hiding behind SNP BS and rhetorical spin on independence. The Scottish people already voted and they voted "no". The polls for Scottish Independence are falling in favour of remain due to the performance of the SNP in the COVID-19 crisis. If they can't get that right with 70% of their funding coming from Westminster they stand zero chance of getting anything right as an independent country.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2020, 11:34 AM

Nigel Farage says the WA signed by Boris is the Deal, the EU will not accept anything else. Last Sunday was the time PM should have walked away. In his opening comment, Farage live show he asks will Boris be Chamberlain or Churchill?

BRINO could still happen. The charade continues.
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2020, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
What has the GFA got to do with EU and UK businesses ? Do you think the hard border in Ireland during the "troubles" was a customs border or something ... really ?

The UK has a single market as well you know and its worth a lot more to the EU than the EU single market is to us. The only reason you want us to stay in the single market and be aligned to the EU "level playing field" is so you can still claim you're in the EU and the SNP can continue its propaganda and lies about independence.

Stop hiding behind SNP BS and rhetorical spin on independence. The Scottish people already voted and they voted "no". The polls for Scottish Independence are falling in favour of remain due to the performance of the SNP in the COVID-19 crisis. If they can't get that right with 70% of their funding coming from Westminster they stand zero chance of getting anything right as an independent country.

Bread just answer my earlier question on your post..

It would help if you understood what i wrote.

What bit do you disagree with and why ?

This is what you wrote Bread..

"What this means is that as a Director of my business the EU can decide whenever they want to make laws that I must follow. So, for example, if the EU decide that I must pay 30% corporation tax then I must pay it - regardless of how the UK economy is performing and regardless of supply and demand".

Show me a link where the EU dictate UK corporate tax rates.

or admit you made that up
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2020, 11:53 AM

Bread just answer my earlier question on your post..

It would help if you understood what i wrote.

What bit do you disagree with and why ?

This is what you wrote Bread..

"What this means is that as a Director of my business the EU can decide whenever they want to make laws that I must follow. So, for example, if the EU decide that I must pay 30% corporation tax then I must pay it - regardless of how the UK economy is performing and regardless of supply and demand".

Show me a link where the EU dictate UK corporate tax rates.

or admit you made that up
Corporation tax rules and rates will be controlled under their harmonised tax policy coming in soon as part of Von Der Leyens opening speech when she was given the job of Dear Leader. You can read more about its history and its plans here.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custom...-base-ccctb_en

Currently, the level playing field ensures that taxes in one country do not give an "unfair advantage" to another member state. This includes corporation tax so if the UK wanted to reduce its corporation tax rate to (say) 15% then the commission could stop it. We reduced rates to 19% a couple of years ago, by the way but that was a complete nightmare to do.

Also, EU VAT has a minimum level we cannot go below (I think its 15%) - of which around 5% goes to the EU. Ours is currently 20% but we are prevented from lowering our VAT rate to (say) 14% because that would be infringement of the EU rules currently in place on taxation.

https://europa.eu/european-union/topics/taxation_en

The other side of this is that the EU under their level playing field would mean they could make laws in private and then impose them on the UK which we would have to follow. This would cripple UK businesses and make them even more inflexible than they are currently as we would have no say in them, how they are made and have to implement them verbatim. So if the EU decide the UK must have a minimum Corporation Tax level of 30%, they we must apply it to conform to their rules on level playing field. You can find most of this stuff easily enough on-line, I'm surprised you have to keep asking for it.

Like I said, do your own research, I'm not here to educate you.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2020, 11:55 AM

As pointed out to you already: if it's not fear, why the weaponizing of the Irish border - which as you know they have recently been forced to back down on?
The borders will now not be affected.
The GFA has been proven to be a tool the EU tried unsuccessfully to use against the UK.
Do you want to see AGAIN the video of Barnier saying as much?

It's about time you stopped ignoring who really are the untrustworthy ones.
That would indisputably be the EU.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2020, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Nigel Farage says the WA signed by Boris is the Deal, the EU will not accept anything else. Last Sunday was the time PM should have walked away. In his opening comment, Farage live show he asks will Boris be Chamberlain or Churchill?

Nobody talks about this but the WA is not legal unless there is a deal.
I have posted the EU rules before but basically, "nothing is agreed until everything is agreed" and they themselves say no part of Brexit is valid until full agreement is reached.

See Section 1 Para.2
"Negotiations under Article 50 TEU will be conducted in transparency and as a single package. In accordance with the principle that nothing is agreed until everything is agreed, individual items cannot be settled separately."
https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/p...t-guidelines/#
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2020, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->

That's my only worry too.

If Boris should give in at the last minute, he and his party will be toast so I have a feeling that he won't.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2020, 04:45 PM

Nobody talks about this but the WA is not legal unless there is a deal.
I have posted the EU rules before but basically, "nothing is agreed until everything is agreed" and they themselves say no part of Brexit is valid until full agreement is reached.

See Section 1 Para.2
"Negotiations under Article 50 TEU will be conducted in transparency and as a single package. In accordance with the principle that nothing is agreed until everything is agreed, individual items cannot be settled separately."
https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/p...t-guidelines/#
Not worth the paper it's written on.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2020, 05:17 PM

The bullying bunch aren't content with trying to strong-arm Britain and the Swiss, they try it with Malaysia over palm oil and Brazil in a trade deal try-on over the Amazon.
As many are well aware, I'm no fan of palm oil plantations because they actually strip all nutrients out of the soil even though shedloads of man-made fertilisers are thrown at them on an annual basis. They leave the soil totally barren and unfit for anything other than building on. This link goes some way to explain why a ban on Malaysian and Indonesian palm oil would be counter-productive as far as deforestation is concerned.

I also posted previously that a natural rubber plantation is much better at sequestering carbon dioxide than normal, unmanaged rainforest. Here are the numbers to back this assertion up:

The natural rubber tree, Hevea Brasiliensis, efficiently sequesters carbon*:
Photosynthetic rate of mature Hevea leaf = 11 µmol/m2/s
Other tree species = 5-13 µmol/m2/s

Over a 30 yr life for Hevea b, Carbon sequestration/hectare = 272 tonnes
Rain forest = 234 tonnes
Secondary rain forest = 150 tonnes

Hevea b is also a valuable source of timber.

The numbers above were published in peer reviewed papers by:
Jones, K.P. (2000) Kautsch. Gummi Kunstst. 53, 735, and
Chung, C.-M., Wang, R.-S. and Jiang, J.-S. (2007) J. Env. Sci. 19, 348

As a matter of interest they were also presented by me in a paper entitled "Polymers based on natural rubber: Renewable materials with unique properties". I was co-author along with Drs S. Cook and A. Chapman. I presented the paper at the Plastics & Rubber Institute of Malaysia's Golden Jubilee Conference, May 2010.

Page 11 of 31 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top