Join for free
View Poll Results: What do you want to happen by end of year?
Deal 3 14.29%
No Deal 15 71.43%
Extension of transition 3 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Page 12 of 31 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2020, 05:50 PM

Re: Deal before Year End?

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
As many are well aware, I'm no fan of palm oil plantations because they actually strip all nutrients out of the soil even though shedloads of man-made fertilisers are thrown at them on an annual basis. They leave the soil totally barren and unfit for anything other than building on. This link goes some way to explain why a ban on Malaysian and Indonesian palm oil would be counter-productive as far as deforestation is concerned.

I also posted previously that a natural rubber plantation is much better at sequestering carbon dioxide than normal, unmanaged rainforest. Here are the numbers to back this assertion up:

The natural rubber tree, Hevea Brasiliensis, efficiently sequesters carbon*:
Photosynthetic rate of mature Hevea leaf = 11 µmol/m2/s
Other tree species = 5-13 µmol/m2/s

Over a 30 yr life for Hevea b, Carbon sequestration/hectare = 272 tonnes
Rain forest = 234 tonnes
Secondary rain forest = 150 tonnes

Hevea b is also a valuable source of timber.

The numbers above were published in peer reviewed papers by:
Jones, K.P. (2000) Kautsch. Gummi Kunstst. 53, 735, and
Chung, C.-M., Wang, R.-S. and Jiang, J.-S. (2007) J. Env. Sci. 19, 348

As a matter of interest they were also presented by me in a paper entitled "Polymers based on natural rubber: Renewable materials with unique properties". I was co-author along with Drs S. Cook and A. Chapman. I presented the paper at the Plastics & Rubber Institute of Malaysia's Golden Jubilee Conference, May 2010.
I'm no fan of palm oil either - especially when they try to sneak it into food!
But the EU's actions are (as so frequently) not only acknowledged to be unreasonable but are again (as you say) typically actually counter-productive as the link I think you missed explains why:
https://www.iscc-system.org/eco-busi...n-on-palm-oil/
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2020, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Corporation tax rules and rates will be controlled under their harmonised tax policy coming in soon as part of Von Der Leyens opening speech when she was given the job of Dear Leader. You can read more about its history and its plans here.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custom...-base-ccctb_en

Currently, the level playing field ensures that taxes in one country do not give an "unfair advantage" to another member state. This includes corporation tax so if the UK wanted to reduce its corporation tax rate to (say) 15% then the commission could stop it. We reduced rates to 19% a couple of years ago, by the way but that was a complete nightmare to do.

Also, EU VAT has a minimum level we cannot go below (I think its 15%) - of which around 5% goes to the EU. Ours is currently 20% but we are prevented from lowering our VAT rate to (say) 14% because that would be infringement of the EU rules currently in place on taxation.

https://europa.eu/european-union/topics/taxation_en

The other side of this is that the EU under their level playing field would mean they could make laws in private and then impose them on the UK which we would have to follow. This would cripple UK businesses and make them even more inflexible than they are currently as we would have no say in them, how they are made and have to implement them verbatim. So if the EU decide the UK must have a minimum Corporation Tax level of 30%, they we must apply it to conform to their rules on level playing field. You can find most of this stuff easily enough on-line, I'm surprised you have to keep asking for it.

Like I said, do your own research, I'm not here to educate you.
Your link is to a proposal designed for multi-nationals trading in Europe. How is this a damaging loss of sovereignty to companies based exclusively in the UK? p.s. Of course now we have left we have no veto.
p.p.s Our corporation tax rates are set by the UK government. Yes our idiot government would choose something like 19%

Face it there isn't any significant risk of loss of sovereignty. It was just more Brexit bullshit.
Our risk now is that we have no veto on EU policy. Yes the EU can change their rules in the future and we will have to suck it up or trade elsewhere in which case costs will go up quality will come down.
We still trade far more with EU than anywhere else in the world and that will continue for the foreseeable.
ps I'd love a "no deal" just for the fun of it but it won't happen because Bozo the liar hasn't got the bottle so our "no deal" preparations have been a complete waste of money.
pps I think we in Scotland will be fine whatever ....tick tock.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2020, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
Your link is to a proposal designed for multi-nationals trading in Europe. How is this a damaging loss of sovereignty to companies based exclusively in the UK? p.s. Of course now we have left we have no veto.
p.p.s Our corporation tax rates are set by the UK government. Yes our idiot government would choose something like 19%

Face it there isn't any significant risk of loss of sovereignty. It was just more Brexit bullshit.
Our risk now is that we have no veto on EU policy. Yes the EU can change their rules in the future and we will have to suck it up or trade elsewhere in which case costs will go up quality will come down.
We still trade far more with EU than anywhere else in the world and that will continue for the foreseeable.
ps I'd love a "no deal" just for the fun of it but it won't happen because Bozo the liar hasn't got the bottle so our "no deal" preparations have been a complete waste of money.
pps I think we in Scotland will be fine whatever ....tick tock.

It's EU rules on taxation for companies that are registered in the European Union and its member states. If the UK is legally bound to it's level playing field then we would also come under this remit and have no say and no veto. This is not the UK being a sovereign nation.

When the UK corporation tax rate went down to 19%, tax revenues went up... if you knew what you were talking about you would know this. When corporation taxes increase, businesses leave - you can see a good example of this in the USA where large tech companies are leaving California in droves to take advantage of lower taxation in Texas. With the companies that leave also go jobs and economic growth.

We trade more with the rest of the world than we do the EU and our biggest trading partner as a country is the USA. The EU's biggest single market for trade is the UK and the biggest markets outside of it are the USA, China and India - none of which have trade deals with the EU.

Scotland has the Barnet formula - it's never been "OK".

If we do leave the EU with or without a deal, Scottish Independence is dead in the water. The SNP are already falling in the polls. There track record is utter failure. The only thing they are good out is pumping out propaganda and lies from the "Ginger Dwarf in the North".
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 05:50 PM

Ha ha ha ........ the EU are trying their darndest to push the UK into a deal!
Their latest wheeze is saying that it must be done by Sunday, otherwise they will refuse to ratify any deal if it's after then.

Who wants to have a little wager that this deadline too will come and go and still see "negotiations" continue?

Gove however is insisting that any chance of a deal is less than 50/50:
“I think that regrettably the chances are more likely that we won’t secure an agreement.”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...KBN28R0VR?il=0

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...tiers-fishing/

It was always inevitable that the ammount of bluster and rumours would increase exponentially as the final date draws nearer without conclusion.
In short: Nobody can be truly certain of any outcome until either it is officially announced or untilthe clock ticks over into 2021, whichever comes first.
Quasi fundamentum Boris.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

17-12-2020, 07:16 PM

Oh and Gove is also saying that he can see talks continuing after Christmas, but the really interesting bit is this:

It certainly won’t be the case that we will be going back in to seek to secure an FDA (Free Trade Agreement). If it is the case that we can’t secure agreement by Dec. 31, that’s it.”
https://uk.reuters.com/article/brita...KBN28R2MZ?il=0
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Oh and Gove is also saying that he can see talks continuing after Christmas, but the really interesting bit is this:

It certainly won’t be the case that we will be going back in to seek to secure an FDA (Free Trade Agreement). If it is the case that we can’t secure agreement by Dec. 31, that’s it.”
https://uk.reuters.com/article/brita...KBN28R2MZ?il=0
I'd be very happy to see the EU dictators continuing to talk after Christmas, and even after the new year.

Just as long as we are not listening. We have better things to do, like preparing for the celebrations!

I read that Big Ben WILL chime at midnight 31.12.20 to celebrate our final freedom.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'd be very happy to see the EU dictators continuing to talk after Christmas, and even after the new year.

Just as long as we are not listening. We have better things to do, like preparing for the celebrations!

I read that Big Ben WILL chime at midnight 31.12.20 to celebrate our final freedom.

It's going to chime at 11pm to mark our departure from the single market and the customs Union and then at midnight.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 10:57 PM

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...atest-video-vn

No denying the only one who should have been in charge of Brexit. Matters not what you think of him, clearly has always been ahead in predicting EU agenda.

"While the UK has obeyed EU law to the letter other countries are running a cart and horse through the rule book.

"The level playing field is about as level as the decks on the Titanic after it hit the iceberg."

Following the clip, Mr Farage added: "So there we are, I felt very passionately about the level playing field back in 1999.

"It always seemed to me that we obeyed all of the rules and the others adopted a slightly laissez-faire attitude and the further south of the European Union you went the more that was the truth."
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
It's going to chime at 11pm to mark our departure from the single market and the customs Union and then at midnight.
Fair enough.

Brexit is worth at least two chimes.

Like the end of the war: all the church bells chimed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-12-2020, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...atest-video-vn

No denying the only one who should have been in charge of Brexit. Matters not what you think of him, clearly has always been ahead in predicting EU agenda.
I can only agree.

Nigel would have been a valuable advisor and certainly a good negotiator, and I'm absolutely confident that he would not have stood for any of the EU's bullying.

Having said that, Frosty has done an excellent job, no-one can deny.

Had Nigel had a place in Parliament as the leader of the Brexit Party, had any have been elected of course, I'm sure he would have been a real asset even if only a minority party.

Sadly, he was persuaded not to stand in the last GE (as it happens, for good reasons), and in previous attempts no-one had the balls to vote for his party.

Page 12 of 31 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top