Join for free
View Poll Results: What do you want to happen by end of year?
Deal 3 14.29%
No Deal 15 71.43%
Extension of transition 3 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Page 4 of 31 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 03:09 PM

Re: Deal before Year End?

Originally Posted by Barry ->
That's all as maybe DM, but you have continually stated your desire for a no deal outcome in dozens of posts and threads, for example post 3 in this thread and I quote " For myself l await the reality of no deal with relish !". You say this and then say to me than your desire for a no deal outcome is in the event that we fail to regain sovereignty. So have you now changed your stance?

I noted that the poll question reads "What do you want to happen by end of year?" to which ten people, presumably you included, have answered "No deal" without any qualification. That is why I voted for a deal, with my qualification written in my post, so if that is your stance now also then why the reticence to actually say so?
I take your point Barry, all l can say is that in negotiations you have to
project an image that is more than the opposition is prepared to
pay, in order to get a concession from them??
This is exactly what the eu has done from day one ??
Should we not do this too??
BTW you havent answered my question about what you think we
should be doing in the present circumstances??
And regarding my reticence l think l just answered that??

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 03:27 PM

What I really can't comprehend is the EU's perceived expectations that we will give the EU the right to dictate to us how we will trade, how much fish we will catch, the right to look after our manufacturing and our borders.

I would like to see the faces of the Canadians or Australians if the EU said the same to them.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Truly independent means, quite simply, we retain our sovereignty including our sea areas, our right to support our own businesses and our freedom from any interference from the ECJ.

After all, these are all things which Canada and Japan have.
Isnt that what l said Bread ?
I thought it was?
Seems some others dont!😁😁

Donkeyman! 👍👍
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
That is good news!
Good because it means that the EU have (or will) formally relinquish what were seen by the UK as unreasonable demands contained within the WA that could have affected our internal market.

Or don't you understand what an "agreement in principal" is?

It is a stepping stone towards a full agreement in that area only.
It does look promising, but let's see the actual wording first.

Quite so.
I’m merely speculating that perhaps a deal has been made and it’s now about dressing up the details so that both sides can sell
It without loosing face. Your already claiming victory on a point that may have been mutually agreed. I’m sure the EU side will claim they have a wee victory in making Boris drop those particular points. Could be wrong of course 🤗
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
I’m merely speculating that perhaps a deal has been made and it’s now about dressing up the details so that both sides can sell
It without loosing face. Your already claiming victory on a point that may have been mutually agreed. I’m sure the EU side will claim they have a wee victory in making Boris drop those particular points. Could be wrong of course 🤗

That is why it is called "politics".

It is not a "claim"; if the EU have indeed dropped some demands which led to the points which are to be dropped then it is indeed a "win" no matter how you want to interpret it.

Otherwise of course until a firm outcome becomes known, any theorizing about a deal is just that: theorizing - or speculation, take your pick.
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Truly independent means, quite simply, we retain our sovereignty including our sea areas, our right to support our own businesses and our freedom from any interference from the ECJ.

After all, these are all things which Canada and Japan have.

Don't forget that on the day we leave the EU with whatever deal, the existing EU laws will be transferred to British law, to be amended or repealed at our leisure,
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
The EU have had to provide the UK with guarantees over border checks, imports, exports etc in order to get Boris to drop the clauses in the internal market bill. There are also guarantees over frictionless (or as near as you can get to it) movement of goods and Northern Ireland being outside the customs union of the EU and EU single market.

Look at it this way, the internal market bill complete with the clauses that would break the laws of the treaty continue to go through the commons with a massive majority. The end state is that these clauses would come into effect and the EU would then have to back up their commitments on putting up a hard border between the republic and NI, directly impacting the GFA .... or back down and admit they lied about it all along

Their bluff has been called on this one in my opinion.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The EU have had to provide the UK with guarantees over border checks, imports, exports etc in order to get Boris to drop the clauses in the internal market bill. There are also guarantees over frictionless (or as near as you can get to it) movement of goods and Northern Ireland being outside the customs union of the EU and EU single market.

Look at it this way, the internal market bill complete with the clauses that would break the laws of the treaty continue to go through the commons with a massive majority. The end state is that these clauses would come into effect and the EU would then have to back up their commitments on the Irish Border and the GFA issues or back down and admit they lied about it.

Their bluff has been called on this one in my opinion.
It has indeed.
From the tone Boris continues to use, the EU is having their bluff called regarding a Brexit deal too.
Let's see now if the EU think so too and remove everything which would cede UK sovereignty in order to get a deal over the line.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I take your point Barry, all l can say is that in negotiations you have to
project an image that is more than the opposition is prepared to
pay, in order to get a concession from them??
This is exactly what the eu has done from day one ??
Should we not do this too??
BTW you havent answered my question about what you think we
should be doing in the present circumstances??
And regarding my reticence l think l just answered that??

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
My apologies DM, I didn't realise that you were directly involved in the negotiations.

As for myself I think we should be doing what we are doing, trying to maintain business relationships and tariff-free trading whilst demanding our sovereignty in doing so. Sorry I wasn't clearer..
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
It has indeed.
From the tone Boris continues to use, the EU is having their bluff called regarding a Brexit deal too.
Let's see now if the EU think so too and remove everything which would cede UK sovereignty in order to get a deal over the line.
Thats a big win for Boris because the Irish Border has so far, been the stumbling block as far as not only an EU trade deal is concerned, but also a USA one.

I think your right Zaphod, When the member states realise they have no hand to play anymore and its down to the EU commission punishing the 27 over denying them the free trade deal with the UK that we have offered them, all hell will break loose. They will realise that the next member state to leave will mean a huge punishment for those left in the block - not a punishment for the member state that left.

Solidarity or die is the new message for the 27.

Page 4 of 31 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top