Join for free
Page 10 of 26 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 01:15 AM

Re: Impeachment of Donald Trump

Trump won’t testify at his second impeachment trial

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...achment-465923

Trump explicitly rejected a request from House Democrats. Jason Miller, a spokesperson for the former president, said Trump “will not testify in an unconstitutional proceeding,” echoing the central theme of Trump’s defense in the trial.

In a letter to Trump earlier Thursday, the House’s lead impeachment manager Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) said Trump’s testimony was necessary because his lawyers’ first official response to the impeachment charge “denied many factual allegations set forth in the article of impeachment.”

“You have thus attempted to put critical facts at issue notwithstanding the clear and overwhelming evidence of your constitutional offense,” Raskin wrote. “In light of your disputing these factual allegations, I write to invite you to provide testimony under oath, either before or during the Senate impeachment trial, concerning your conduct on January 6, 2021. If you decline this invitation, we reserve any and all rights, including the right to establish at trial that your refusal to testify supports a strong adverse inference regarding your actions (and inaction) on January 6, 2021,”.
Bruce Castor and David Schoen, Trump’s lawyers for the trial, called Raskin’s letter a “public relations stunt” and said it confirms that “you cannot prove your allegations” against Trump. “The use of our Constitution to bring a purported impeachment proceeding is much too serious to try to play these games,” Castor and Schoen wrote.

A senior aide on the House impeachment team said the request for Trump’s testimony came in response to claims by Castor and Schoen earlier this week that the former president never “intended to interfere with the counting of Electoral votes” on Jan. 6, and never “made any effort to subvert the certification of the results of the 2020 presidential election.”

Trump for weeks lodged unsubstantiated claims about widespread voter fraud in swing states where Biden won, culminating in his speech to supporters the morning of Jan. 6, when he urged them to “fight like hell.”
He can hide but he cannot run .....
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Trump won’t testify at his second impeachment trial

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...achment-465923

He can hide but he cannot run .....

He's not hiding he will most likely be playing golf like last time.

Going well this impeachment is it?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
He's not hiding he will most likely be playing golf like last time.

Going well this impeachment is it?
Almost as well as his legal team's defence.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/ve-practic...171155382.html
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Almost as well as his legal team's defence.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/ve-practic...171155382.html
Be interesting to see what unfolds during the case. I think it will make great telly,
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 01:07 PM

Be interesting to see what unfolds during the case. I think it will make great telly,
Yep. I know that the link i posted was to an "independent" article (and thus not as independent as one might prefer!!), but it was written by a law professor and not a journo which gives it a touch of credibility.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

05-02-2021, 02:07 PM

Yep. I know that the link i posted was to an "independent" article (and thus not as independent as one might prefer!!), but it was written by a law professor and not a journo which gives it a touch of credibility.
Lawyers always make mistakes and typos - I've often reworded chunks of my solicitors stuff and also reworked texts for my barrister.

Even in my regulatory compliance role, I don't get hung up on typos unless the meaning is changed or something after critical like dosage is affected etc.

I don't think Trumps legal case is getting much money thrown at it any way. I wouldn't waste my money on it either now its widely understood its a complete waste of time, just like the last one.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

05-02-2021, 02:15 PM

I don't think Trumps legal case is getting much money thrown at it any way. I wouldn't waste my money on it either now its widely understood its a complete waste of time, just like the last one.
One would imagine that the main purpose of the impeachment is to prevent trump from running again.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

05-02-2021, 02:32 PM

One would imagine that the main purpose of the impeachment is to prevent trump from running again.
Exactly and the Dems know its going to fail so they are then going to try a different route by trying to censure him, which is odd because if he is acquitted for his charges for impeachment why is is convicted for the same things in another case and then censured ? Seems a bit crazy .... but there again crazy is the new norm in the USA.

If this is the Dems legal position, I think the case Trump has that looks like it was written by the office boy is still the winning one. I hope he enjoys his round of golf while its all unravelling.

The Dems are scared of Trump, thats pretty obvious. All this shows is that they are trying to rig future elections.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

05-02-2021, 02:44 PM

Exactly and the Dems know its going to fail so they are then going to try a different route by trying to censure him, which is odd because if he is acquitted for his charges for impeachment why is is convicted for the same things in another case and then censured ? Seems a bit crazy .... but there again crazy is the new norm in the USA.

If this is the Dems legal position, I think the case Trump has that looks like it was written by the office boy is still the winning one. I hope he enjoys his round of golf while its all unravelling.

The Dems are scared of Trump, thats pretty obvious. All this shows is that they are trying to rig future elections.
I suspect that there'll be a fair few republicans who'll be more than happy to let the democrats do their dirty work for them.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

05-02-2021, 03:56 PM

I suspect that there'll be a fair few republicans who'll be more than happy to let the democrats do their dirty work for them.
Yep, but they still need a 2/3 majority to impeach him and the numbers aren't there. The danger for the republicans is that if they vote against him and he wins then they will be over.

I think there could be some Democrats voting against themselves too.

Interesting times.... but a lovely day for a round of golf none the less

Page 10 of 26 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top