Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 02:00 PM

Victoria Sponge Cake

Does anyone have a nice recipe for me to try please?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 02:51 PM

Re: Victoria Sponge Cake

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Does anyone have a nice recipe for me to try please?

Hi Minx, Here with my version of how I make my Victoria Sponge cake using the all-in-one-method. This is the only time I use Stork instead of Butter when making cakes as I find it gives a nicer crumb when using the all in one method, but softened butter is perfect if you wish to use butter instead/

Preheat your oven to 180c/160c Fan/Mark 4 Gas.
Grease the sides and bottom of 2 x 8’’ cake tins and line the bottom of the tins.

You will need

4 x eggs
225g/8oz caster sugar
225g/8oz self-raising flour
225g/8oz Stork or softened butter
2 teaspoons baking powder

FOR FILLING
Strawberry or Raspberry jam
Whipped double cream

METHOD
Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl, then add the sugar, the flour, the baking powder and the Stork or butter. Using an electric hand whisk, whisk together for precisely 1.½ to maximum 2 minutes, no longer.
The mixture should fall off a spoon easily but if it doesn’t, just add one to two teaspoons of milk until you get the right consistency.

Divide the mixture between the two cake tins.(it doesn’t have to be exact, I usually use a large stainless steel serving spoon to measure). Once you have scraped the bowl out into the cake tins, using a spatula, gently smooth the surface of the the cakes.

Place the two cake tins in the centre of your oven and bake for 25 minutes. Check them after 20 minutes, they should be baked when they are golden brown and coming away from the edges of the cake tins. When you touch the top it should be gently springy.

Remove from oven and let them stand in the cake tins for 5 minutes before removing by running a palette knife or rounded butter knife around the inside edges of the tins and carefully turn the cakes out onto a cooling rack.(even better if you have removable cake tin bottoms)

I don’t faff around with the filling and top. I whip up the double cream in a bowl. I leave one cake with the top side up and the other upside down. I slather the upside down cake first with the jam and then generously with the cream before placing the cake with the top side up on top of it.
I then dredge either caster sugar or icing sugar over the top and wallah! One perfectly baked Victoria sponge cake ready to be demolished by He Who Must Obey!

Hope you like this recipe if you use it.

forgot to say, my oven it is usually always 25 to 30 minutes bake time. use a skewer to check cake baked in centre, the skewer should be clean to ensure cake baked properly.

also, I forgot to say that I add a tablespoon of icing sugar to the whipped cream for extra sweetness but its a matter of preference of course.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 02:56 PM

More or less like SG but I weigh the 4 eggs in their shells and the other ingredients should weigh the same.

The eggs and butter ( I won't use margarine it reminds me of Vaseline ) should be at room temperature , it makes blending them together easier and prevents the mixture splitting.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
More or less like SG but I weigh the 4 eggs in their shells and the other ingredients should weigh the same.

The eggs and butter ( I won't use margarine it reminds me of Vaseline ) should be at room temperature , it makes blending them together easier and prevents the mixture splitting.
Strange Meg, I only did the eggs in their shells weight method once and it didn't come out as well, although I know many use this method. I have used the all in one method for years and prefer it. I only ever use Stork in the all in one method as it gives a nicer crumb in my opinion, always softened butter for other cakes.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Strange Meg, I only did the eggs in their shells weight method once and it didn't come out as well, although I know many use this method. I have used the all in one method for years and prefer it. I only ever use Stork in the all in one method as it gives a nicer crumb in my opinion, always softened butter for other cakes.
Hi SG eggs come in various sizes , weighing them takes account of this.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 04:24 PM

Hi SG eggs come in various sizes , weighing them takes account of this.
Eggs mean trouble. I can see the beginnings of a dispute developing already. The Stork / butter issue also looks like it could be the source of some controversy.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

Hi Minx, Here with my version of how I make my Victoria Sponge cake using the all-in-one-method. This is the only time I use Stork instead of Butter when making cakes as I find it gives a nicer crumb when using the all in one method, but softened butter is perfect if you wish to use butter instead/

Preheat your oven to 180c/160c Fan/Mark 4 Gas.
Grease the sides and bottom of 2 x 8’’ cake tins and line the bottom of the tins.

You will need

4 x eggs
225g/8oz caster sugar
225g/8oz self-raising flour
225g/8oz Stork or softened butter
2 teaspoons baking powder

FOR FILLING
Strawberry or Raspberry jam
Whipped double cream

METHOD
Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl, then add the sugar, the flour, the baking powder and the Stork or butter. Using an electric hand whisk, whisk together for precisely 1.½ to maximum 2 minutes, no longer.
The mixture should fall off a spoon easily but if it doesn’t, just add one to two teaspoons of milk until you get the right consistency.

Divide the mixture between the two cake tins.(it doesn’t have to be exact, I usually use a large stainless steel serving spoon to measure). Once you have scraped the bowl out into the cake tins, using a spatula, gently smooth the surface of the the cakes.

Place the two cake tins in the centre of your oven and bake for 25 minutes. Check them after 20 minutes, they should be baked when they are golden brown and coming away from the edges of the cake tins. When you touch the top it should be gently springy.

Remove from oven and let them stand in the cake tins for 5 minutes before removing by running a palette knife or rounded butter knife around the inside edges of the tins and carefully turn the cakes out onto a cooling rack.(even better if you have removable cake tin bottoms)

I don’t faff around with the filling and top. I whip up the double cream in a bowl. I leave one cake with the top side up and the other upside down. I slather the upside down cake first with the jam and then generously with the cream before placing the cake with the top side up on top of it.
I then dredge either caster sugar or icing sugar over the top and wallah! One perfectly baked Victoria sponge cake ready to be demolished by He Who Must Obey!

Hope you like this recipe if you use it.

forgot to say, my oven it is usually always 25 to 30 minutes bake time. use a skewer to check cake baked in centre, the skewer should be clean to ensure cake baked properly.

also, I forgot to say that I add a tablespoon of icing sugar to the whipped cream for extra sweetness but its a matter of preference of course.
Thank you so much! I will try this tomorrow and I promise to post a picture!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

14-02-2021, 05:43 PM

That’s interesting Meg. You weigh your eggs as well- never thought of that!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

14-02-2021, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Eggs mean trouble. I can see the beginnings of a dispute developing already. The Stork / butter issue also looks like it could be the source of some controversy.
Trust you to notice that Harbal
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Trust you to notice that Harbal
As you may be aware, Minx, I have a history with eggs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top