Join for free
Page 4 of 25 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 08:32 PM

Re: Future of the Monarchy

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
That just involves a rubber stamp. Thankfully she has no real power.
All depends on how you see power. She has a great deal of influence.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
All depends on how you see power. She has a great deal of influence.
Another offensive thing about her. Influence without responsibility.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 09:14 PM

Another offensive thing about her. Influence without responsibility.
She has responsibility. Others who have influence walk away from duty.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 09:28 PM

She has responsibility. Others who have influence walk away from duty.
For responsibility read answerability then.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-04-2021, 09:33 PM

Answerability? haha, you're a fine one to talk!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 09:33 PM

Say what you like about the institution but when the Queen dies the soul of the nation will die with her. Even those who despise the monarchy will feel some sadness.
People get caught up in the occasion. I was no fan of Diana, I didn't know her but seeing all the people come together like that at her funeral was very sad to watch.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

10-04-2021, 09:37 PM

Answerability? haha, you're a fine one to talk!
I REALLY don't understand that comment. Really.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 09:48 PM

It's a hell of a lot more democratic than the UK and has a government much closer to the people than most of Europe, especially the UK. I lived and worked there donkeys years ago at CERN. Only a few months but thoroughly impressed.
You worked at CERN
Tell me, did they discover the God particle ?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 12:13 AM

From an observer's point of view I suspect that England - not Scotland or Wales - Maybe Norn Iron will hang on - UK might become more like Spain, Sweden, Denmark. The Netherlands etc. You might still have a monarch who us head of state and a crown prince/ess who is the heir but not all the other "dooks of Earl" and the rest pf the hangers on. A small, well managed budget and a very long list of real jobs to do.. Maybe not. Doesn't matter to us. WE have a system of government that works well. It will become a republic when the Queen dies with the governor general remaining as head of state. They may even keep that title rather than president. It doesn't really matter.

I think we all ( The World) has been lucky to have had the Queen. If nothing else than that she was an inspiration to many of her people and truly loves them. Better than a megalomaniacal uber psycho like Stalin?..Hitler?..Pol Pot?..Vlad the bloody Impaler?? One who murders rather than stands by her people. And it appears the Duke was a big part of her strength so good on him. I'm no royalist but I will say I will be very very sad when QE2 dies.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

11-04-2021, 12:50 AM

hah! You changed your mind about Federer?

Page 4 of 25 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top