Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 08:18 AM

What word(s) do you use to desigante ..

..your nether regions? This sprung to mind while reading another thread where a member is experimenting with not washing their entire body.

For my family, we use the term 'underside' and now I'm interested in how others refer to their groin/perineum/backside area. As a father to four daughters, a general term had to be found that left no doubt without being too graphic. This has been handed down and now my grandchildren also use this word.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 08:34 AM

Re: What word(s) do you use to desigante ..

This is interesting, and quite topical in our family. We usually refer to that area as our 'bits and bobs', nearly always shortened to just our 'bits'. But a discussion arose recently because our granddaughter's school, where our daughter is a TA, has recently started sex education lessons for years 3 and up. Reading through all the literature sent out to parents, one thing was stressed as so important for children: that they learn the correct terms for their genitals (unfortunately, the literature states that a little girl should call her genitals her vagina, which always frustrates me because the correct term is vulva - the vagina is tucked away out of sight, grrr).

Anyway, it went on to say that nearly all families had their own words or phrases to describe the areas, resulting in an enormous variation in how a child will refer to their genitals. This can cause a major difficulty if a young child is sexually molested and uses a term that does not immediately alert an adult to the real issue of what has happened to them. It is so much safer if all children use the correct words, so there is never, ever any misunderstanding.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 09:24 AM

I have always wondered why we are so embarrassed about using the correct name for these areas.
If everybody used the correct name, children would see no difference than the names we usually call them & they would eventually become an ordinary word, rather than something that seems dirty or embarrassing.
I have to say that I totally agree with Bathsheba's post

I can remember a time when nobody used the word Breast , but thank heavens nobody says they have boob cancer these days!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 09:45 AM

With both my kids, I used the correct anatomical terms.
I’m not going to mention any terms used within my relationship. But, with my then partner ‘it’ was baptised with a name
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 09:55 AM

When I was a kid it was a generic "down there" for all of us...Did you wash properly.."down there" ?..Is anything sore.."down there"...any problems.."down there".. you want to talk about...As an adult it has always been easy enough to find a word... Depends on the occasion I guess...lover..doctor..etc
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 10:04 AM

I remember older ladies referring to it as a monetary coin? Was it tuppence, thruppence or sixpence? I can’t remember.

In my family.. with brother and sisters, my mother used to refer to my brother’s ‘ahem’ as his ‘teapot’!

I used to say ‘ bumbybare’ to my children when they were little.

Corrr.. l found this very embarrassing to write!!
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 10:06 AM

I rather like the male expression Nobby Nobbit, as used in Goodnight Sweetheart!
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 10:13 AM

Strange that I can remember childhood names for female "bits" Alice and Maud for breasts and Ginny for vagina. Don't think I was ever told what a man's bits were called.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 10:31 AM

The only thing I can remember as a young child ..I was sitting on my Dad's lap as usual and we were allowed to watch a scary programme so I can remember feeling scared..Still hate any horror stuff and had nightmares for years and years for various reasons. Ok,embarrassing but my Dad said to me do you need the Toilet poppet.
That is as far as it all went..Yes I had some Wind..
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 10:48 AM

They weren't referred to as anything when I was growing up as far as I can recall. I used "pee-pee" for both kids (boy and girl), and breast/chest for upper body. Now of course, its just the actual words.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top