Join for free
Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 >
Lochsong
The Scrubs !!!
Lochsong is female  Lochsong has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 12:02 AM

Re: Is editing photos fair?

Just another lie in life!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 08:01 AM

Now...I don't want to start another argument but....
Has a certain person not yet realised that modern cameras like the one he uses don't take photographs at all !!!!!......They take digital images made up of pixels which in turn are made up from ones and zeros.
True photographs are taken with true film-loaded cameras !
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lochsong ->
Is editing photos fair - in a nutshell 'no' - why is it necessary?
That depends on the level of editing. Using PS , Lightroom etc to manipulate photos is a skill, but should not be entered into a competition, unless the rules state otherwise.
Basic editing, like contrast etc, should be permitted, in my opinion.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lochsong ->
Just another lie in life!
Life is neither a Lie or a Truth Lochsong, it is what it is....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 10:23 AM

Lets get one thing straight from the start, it is not the camera that makes a photo it is the nose behind it that does.I have done photography for some years starting off with a box brownie 127 35mm film camera to my present day Nikon D800. I can assure you a great picture is first seen by eye and then by a camera.

So what is the difference?
for example the average person would look at a flower and see the height and colour and that is it.
A photographer would look at the same flower for any blemishes- the way it is shaped- how the light goes onto it- the best angle to shoot at ie ground level- what makes the flower stand out, could be leaf markings.

Like anything it is practise that improves and self criticism, One can be pointed on how to improve a photo but it is up to the individual if they are able to.

AS for photoshopping i think it is quite acceptable within reason. I can see no difference in that and taking the same photo at different times of a day to produce a different picture, ie dawn and midday ,the photos would look entirely different.

Sever photoshopping is coming into the realms of abstract art and should be classified as that.

so it boils down to is photoshopping acceptable for competition? here lies the nuts and bolts of the yes/no arguement.

When making rules they should be explicit as to what is and is not allowed?. Should for example a colour photo be accepted if changed to a black and white one if the competion is for black and white photos only?

You could go on making rules until the cows come home, so infact general guidlines are the best way to go and allow a certain tolerance as to how those rules are interpreted.

if a photo is taken but not interested in competition then what pleases the photographer is good enough, if others like it then it is a bonus.

Competition brings out the worse in people, such as mine is bigger /better/faster/ more expensive than yours.

In the dog world to get to Crufts so often it is from one judge to another I will qualify your dog if you will do the same for me. Totally unfair but it happens in all walks of life and we have to accept it.

Take women for example (yes please,) should women wear makup to look better? or is that photoshopping the face. I see little difference between that and improving a photo by editing it
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Lets get one thing straight from the start, it is not the camera that makes a photo
That used to be true...but not anymore, see my earlier post.
There are only digitally created IMAGES these days.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
That used to be true...but not anymore, see my earlier post.
There are only digitally created IMAGES these days.

And who creates those images? the nose behind the camera/ computer
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

30-10-2016, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
And who creates those images? the nose behind the camera/ computer
Tis true the camera does not act alone but a novice can create a stunning image these days, sadly there is no such thing as a 'photograph' these days....generally speaking of course.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 11:14 AM

I think it also depends on whether you consider yourself a photographer or an artist.
A photographer will look into the technical process of producing an image, whereas an artist will use the photograph as a "tool" or "material" in the production of a finished picture.
That's how I see it.
I used to paint and draw but as I'm no longer able to do so to my satisfaction, I use the camera and editing / experimental lighting etc to "paint" with.
From a few tweaks involving cropping, light etc.to starting off with an experiment with odd lenses such as crystals, mesh etc.
When I enter the competition, which is not for an award but to please people with a pleasant image, I don't edit apart from the bare minimum.
The only photoshopped image I entered was obviously manipulated and could have been rejected.
Every college course I have been on since buying my digital camera has focused a great deal on editing, so I assumed it was what one did. Just as developing a film.
Not having expensive equipment or photographic knowledge I was, until now quite proud of my work.
However, my enjoyment has been ruined.
Thanks to those concerned!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

30-10-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
The only photoshopped image I entered was obviously manipulated and could have been rejected.
It was not obvious to anyone but me Tessa....I asked the Mod if photoshopped images were allowed and was told that as long as it was the sole work of the member then that's all that was required....I did not complain I was merely asking for future guidance for my own entries in the future.
It was a great photo in my opinion well produced well constructed, well photoshopped and was a very worthy winner.....and I am still of the same opinion....you have every reason to be proud of it.

Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top