Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 07:15 PM

Re: Mould

Thanks for your comments - Yes I wondered if lack of ventilation was a problem. Actually its not green mould but white stuff with some areas starting to go a blackish/greyish colour.

I was wondering if there was anything I could put on the wall inside the wardrobe to insulate it. Also would taking the doors off or keeping them open help?

Next to the wardrobe is a built in storage cupboard with shelves also on the same outside wall and everything stored in there has been fine.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 07:19 PM

You cold try making a false side inside you wardrobe, and put it about an inch away from the outside wall.
That way your outside wall wouldn't be inside the wardrobe.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 07:27 PM

Actually Jimmy that's a good idea, wonder if I'll be able to do it myself or perhaps get my brother in law to do it later in year when he comes to visit with my sister.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
You cold try making a false side inside you wardrobe, and put it about an inch away from the outside wall.
That way your outside wall wouldn't be inside the wardrobe.
Good points made about ventilation and insulation. If I may add this:

Insulate the outside wall first, then cover it with the false wall. Add a louvered vent to the wardrobe door if possible, or keep the door ajar for air circulation.

Also treat the inside of the wardrobe with Concrobium or a mold-kill paint to kill mold spores and prevent new mold.

What's under the floor of the wardrobe? A basement or a crawl space?
skippersmate
N. Ireland
skippersmate is female 

06-05-2012, 10:48 PM

Have you tried putting the items in vacuum bags. You can buy them in many shops and they are not expensive any more. You put everything into the bag and then vacuum the air out of it. I use them for spare duvets, pillows etc. and they work very well.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 11:43 PM

Marian, Barry is right. If you are going to make a false wall inside the wardrobe make sure that you insulate it from the wall, use loft insulation or polystyirene panels. I woulsd also suggest that you use a fresh air vent in the wardrobe. If you do it properly it will reduce the mould considerably but it could cost as much as buying a new wardrobe.

Make sure that the room is ventilated, if it is difficult fit ventilation grills then just leave the window open very slightly and make sure there is some form of heating to dry out the moisture in the air slightly.
marpaul
North Cumbria

07-05-2012, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Good points made about ventilation and insulation. If I may add this:

Insulate the outside wall first, then cover it with the false wall. Add a louvered vent to the wardrobe door if possible, or keep the door ajar for air circulation.

Also treat the inside of the wardrobe with Concrobium or a mold-kill paint to kill mold spores and prevent new mold.

What's under the floor of the wardrobe? A basement or a crawl space?
Thanks for this Annie. I definitely think ventilation is the problem. I will talk to my brother in law about putting in a false wall and insulating it. I do have louve doors on the wardrobe but they are the closed type, but I have been leaving the doors open. I probably should open a window as well.
marpaul
North Cumbria

07-05-2012, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by skippersmate ->
Have you tried putting the items in vacuum bags. You can buy them in many shops and they are not expensive any more. You put everything into the bag and then vacuum the air out of it. I use them for spare duvets, pillows etc. and they work very well.
Ah that's something I hadn't thought of, so thanks will look at that as well.
marpaul
North Cumbria

07-05-2012, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Marian, Barry is right. If you are going to make a false wall inside the wardrobe make sure that you insulate it from the wall, use loft insulation or polystyirene panels. I woulsd also suggest that you use a fresh air vent in the wardrobe. If you do it properly it will reduce the mould considerably but it could cost as much as buying a new wardrobe.

Make sure that the room is ventilated, if it is difficult fit ventilation grills then just leave the window open very slightly and make sure there is some form of heating to dry out the moisture in the air slightly.
Thaks for this AB. There is a ventilation grill on the wall opposite the wardrobe, but nothing inside. There is a window nearby which I have started to open. I must admit I've not been heating the room very much as find it very expensvie with oil but I do have a little electric skirting board heater in the garage which I may leave on a few hours a day next winter.

Thanks everybody, there's been some really good ideas here
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2012, 06:48 PM

We had fitted wardrobes here when we came but after the first winter we took them out and bought some cream cotton ones from Argos. They arent beautiful to look at but now we dont have condesation at all and the clothes are covered up. Hope you dont have any problems from your fall.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top