Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 09:48 PM

How Many Americans Does it Take to Start a Car?

….with a push button start?

1. My mother looks for the key fob to the car and hands them to me.

That’s ONE person

2. I toss the key somewhere without thought and push the start button (because aren’t we all so cool and technologically advanced - but the car doesn’t start.

That’s TWO people.

3. The dashboard - ooh, sorry, I mean "Control Center ” - warns that the battery is low and to place the key up to the start button. I fumble around looking for the key, give it a go, but tthat fails too .

Time waisted but still just two Americans are needed .

4. I recall that there is a key in the fob. I fiddle around looking for something to open the thing, finally commit myself to sheer force, break a nail, and finally get the fob open….

Tick tick, tick goes the clock

5. Ready to insert the key, I look for the insertion slot but there is not one to be found !!!

Getting irritated at this point.

6. Reach for the glove compartment and after a few more wasted minutes find that the insertion point is behind a button tthat looks like this - and is nowhere near the expected location:

7. Attempt to pop the thing off….nails, coin, nail clipper, pen cap…it’s not budging.

8. Go back inside and ask my son, who happens to be standing there, if I may borrow his multi-tool. There is the expected snickering from him as to why I don’t carry tools with me, but at least a kind offer to help. I declined as this kind of task is good for me.

That’s THREE!

9. I decide it is bet to take the other car to go get new batteries. After scratching and scaring the fob to get it open and to identify the battery type . I go into the store and a woman asks me if I need help locating anything. I mention batteries.

FOUR, adding a kind store clerk to the count

10. I scan the display but, of course, no battery in the size I need.

At this point I am wondering why I never read any good books on how to put curses on car manufacturers .

11. I ask a worker if there might be any more in the back.

Ladies and gentlemen, that is FIVE.

12. With no luck, I am off to the next store where they have them in stock. In the checkout lane kind young lady behind the register asks me how my day is going. “Fine,” I lie, smiling.

That is now SIX people, five US dollars, and one lie, which puts my very soul at risk .

13. I go back to the house where my husband has since arrived, looking smart and crisp in uniform, while I look like I've been run over by a car. He takes over the rest of the operation, which for him takes only a matter of seconds, while I grumble over his should about men with their over-engineering and that we should henceforward only purchase sensible cars made before 1990. He shrugs his shoulders and makes the offhand but life-endangering statement, “It’s really not THAT big of a deal.”

SEVEN….well, assuming he lives at this point.

14. He and I go back inside, where he reports, “All fixed” to my mother who proceeds to gush appreciation - TO HIM .

The final cost and tally of using a push-button start?

7 Americans, $5 dollars, forty-five minutes, the consequences of breaking of a commandment, martyrdom when it came to my mother, and near murder charges for nearly killing my husband.

I just want my keys back.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 09:50 PM

Re: How Many Americans Does it Take to Start a Car?

Are you sure it was your car?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Are you sure it was your car?
Hahahaha, yes, blast it. It was in the garage...

but as for mistaking the wrong car, I unfortunately have one of those stories too .

Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 09:54 PM

This is fake counting.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

I do know what you mean though Surfer. All this technology is great until something goes wrong then it's a real PITA and something we could do without.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
This is fake counting.
. Take it to the courts.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

09-01-2021, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I do know what you mean though Surfer. All this technology is great until something goes wrong then it's a real PITA and something we could do without.
Yes...and I just want to twist the temperature and timer dials manually on the oven, while we are at it.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 09:57 PM

You should have read the manual, Surfermum,😂🤣😅
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-01-2021, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Yes...and I just want to twist the temperature and timer dials manually on the oven, while we are at it.
i know what you mean there. The timer on my oven goes from 0 to five hours in seconds. trying to get it on 22minutes is a skill.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

09-01-2021, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
You should have read the manual, Surfermum,😂🤣😅
Oh, I am surprised I didn't hear that from one of the males in the house. I did manage to get the thing out when trying to figure out where to insert the key. Admittedly, it was the only time a car manual was ever of any use.

What I should have done was call the wrecker service to haul the thing to the dump.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top