Join for free
Reply
Page 50 of 50 « First < 40 48 49 50
Lindyloo's Avatar
Lindyloo
Senior Member
Lindyloo is online now
isle of wight
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 2,091
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-12-2020, 09:28 PM
491

Re: China Must get It's Come-uppance?

In the beginning................not quite as far back as that, but many people believe that animals exist as food for humans. that belief goes back very many years and exists to this day. I think people from larger country's which have greater scope for agriculture and farming, believe this more than (say) the UK.............as our potential for livestock and agriculture has lessened as our population has grown.

France is a vast country and has masses of land. As an example - foie gras - the force feeding of ducks to fatten their livers. Cruel, disgusting (to us) - but perfectly acceptable to the French.

Most British people now buy their "fresh" meat from a supermarket. Would they eat it if they had to kill it? French farmers will kill an animal and celebrate by having a party!

Which country is out of touch? Us? or them?

Which country has the greater potential for survival?

Reply With Quote
JBR's Avatar
JBR
Chatterbox
JBR is offline
Cheshire, UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 29,437
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-12-2020, 09:37 PM
492

Re: China Must get It's Come-uppance?

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
In the beginning................not quite as far back as that, but many people believe that animals exist as food for humans. that belief goes back very many years and exists to this day. I think people from larger country's which have greater scope for agriculture and farming, believe this more than (say) the UK.............as our potential for livestock and agriculture has lessened as our population has grown.

France is a vast country and has masses of land. As an example - foie gras - the force feeding of ducks to fatten their livers. Cruel, disgusting (to us) - but perfectly acceptable to the French.

Most British people now buy their "fresh" meat from a supermarket. Would they eat it if they had to kill it? French farmers will kill an animal and celebrate by having a party!

Which country is out of touch? Us? or them?

Which country has the greater potential for survival?

I'm not a vegetarian. Neither am I from the planet Vega.
Nevertheless, I am not against eating meat or fish.
I believe it is necessary.
But I see no reason for torturing animals. They should be killed, if necessary, in a painless way.

Now don't get me talking about Frogs. You know where that's going to go.
People who eat frogs' legs and snails must have something wrong with them.
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is offline
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 40,345
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-12-2020, 09:39 PM
493

Re: China Must get It's Come-uppance?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm not a vegetarian. Neither am I from the planet Vega.
Nevertheless, I am not against eating meat or fish.
I believe it is necessary.
But I see no reason for torturing animals. They should be killed, if necessary, in a painless way.

Now don't get me talking about Frogs. You know where that's going to go.
People who eat frogs' legs and snails must have something wrong with them.

Well they're French for starters.
Reply With Quote
JBR's Avatar
JBR
Chatterbox
JBR is offline
Cheshire, UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 29,437
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-12-2020, 09:57 PM
494

Re: China Must get It's Come-uppance?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Well they're French for starters.
Some would say sub-human.

Of course, I wouldn't say such a thing.
Reply With Quote
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 13,457
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-12-2020, 10:54 PM
495

Re: China Must get It's Come-uppance?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
People who eat frogs' legs and snails must have something wrong with them.
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Well they're French for starters.
Ba ha ha. You blokes have obviously never been to the seaside and had whelks or to Asia and eaten chilli snails.

Yumm...
Reply With Quote
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 13,457
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
14-01-2021, 11:19 PM
496

Re: China Must get It's Come-uppance?

According to the news this morning the Chinese ban on Australian coal has actually had no effect on our export market for coal.

Because of a cold winter China has been forced to source coal from other countries (like Russia) and have forced the price of coal up dramatically. Countries who used to source their from these places have then turned to Australia to buy our coal.

Meanwhile 2020 was one of the three hottest years on record and if nothing is done about carbon in the atmosphere global temperatures are predicted to rise by 3 to 5' this century.
Reply With Quote
OldGreyFox's Avatar
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
OldGreyFox is offline
South Yorkshire
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 17,978
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
14-01-2021, 11:30 PM
497

Re: China Must get It's Come-uppance?

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
According to the news this morning the Chinese ban on Australian coal has actually had no effect on our export market for coal.

Because of a cold winter China has been forced to source coal from other countries (like Russia) and have forced the price of coal up dramatically. Countries who used to source their from these places have then turned to Australia to buy our coal.

Meanwhile 2020 was one of the three hottest years on record and if nothing is done about carbon in the atmosphere global temperatures are predicted to rise by 3 to 5' this century.
Nothing can be done Bruce, it's a fool's errand to think we can....
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 50 of 50 « First < 40 48 49 50

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.