Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 03:26 AM

Georgia Senate election: Democrats take control with Warnock and Ossoff wins

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-55556928

The Democratic Party of US President-elect Joe Biden has won control of the Senate - and of Congress overall - with two victories in the state of Georgia.

Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff defeated Republican incumbents Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue respectively.

Democrats will control the Senate, the House of Representatives and the White House for the first time since 2009.

An estimated four million Georgians turned out to vote in the run-off election.

Mr Warnock, a Baptist pastor, becomes the first black senator for Georgia - a slavery state in the US Civil War - and only the 11th black member of the Senate in US history.

Mr Warnock paid tribute to his mother, Verlene, who as a teenager worked as a farm labourer.

"The other day - because this is America - the 82-year-old hands that used to pick somebody else's cotton went to the polls and picked her youngest son to be a United States senator," he said.

With the result in Georgia, the Democrats and the Republicans will now each have 50 seats in the Senate, the upper house of Congress.

However, the incoming Democratic vice-president, Kamala Harris, will preside over the Senate once she takes office and will have the tie-breaking vote.

This gives the Biden administration a greater chance of achieving its agenda on issues such as healthcare and climate change.

The Senate also has the power to approve or reject Mr Biden's nominees for cabinet and judicial posts.
Good for Raphael and Jon ..... and good for Joe ..... 👍

The result is a severe blow for outgoing Republican President Donald Trump.
😎
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 04:28 AM

Re: Georgia Senate election: Democrats take control with Warnock and Ossoff wins

I should point out that the BBC has made a mistake regarding the election run-off in Georgia. The run-off determines the control of the U.S. CONGRESS , NOT THE GEORGIA LEGSLATURE.
IN short, the Democrats now control not only the presidency and the U.S. House, but also the U.S. Senate. The democrats have taken the entire ball of wax.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 04:49 AM

Re: Georgia Senate election: Democrats take control with Warnock and Ossoff wins

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I should point out that the BBC has made a mistake regarding the election run-off in Georgia. The run-off determines the control of the U.S. CONGRESS , NOT THE GEORGIA LEGSLATURE.
Where does the report specify "Georgia Legislature" .....
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Where does the report specify "Georgia Legislature" .....
Oops. I misread that article. looks like I had a senior moment.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

07-01-2021, 10:32 AM

Oops. I misread that article. looks like I had a senior moment.
We all have them .....
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 02:06 PM

IN short, the Democrats now control not only the presidency and the U.S. House, but also the U.S. Senate. The democrats have taken the entire ball of wax.
This really is a smack in the face for all Republicans

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top